Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a line on supplies?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Anyone got a line on supplies?

Where you guys buying your supplies from? I'm checking Midway, Natchez, Powder Valley & a half dozen other places. My local guy has some stuff but, it's hit or miss.

I'm mostly looking for bullets. I use Sierra, Nosler & Hornady - all match stuff - HPBT - Ballistic Tip, etc.....

Anyone got a line on anyplace?

Or are we all in the same boat?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    Frank try these guys
    Shooting supply store at Third gereration Shooting Supply
    Big supply shop . com
    powder Valley
    Gun stop reloading supplies

drybean

Basic Member
    Thanks...
    I'll check them out.

Basic Member
    Bruno shooters supply has a decent inventory as well. I did a powder order about a week ago through them in addition to Powder Valley.

Andrew

Basic Member
    Thanks,
    I haven't been able to hit with Powder Valley. Powder I'm pretty solid with. Bullets are another story.
    .257 / 25cal I've been able to locate. It's not a real popular caliber - but the .243 & .308 have been tough. Even 7mm have been hard to locate.
    Guess you gotta be in the right place at the right time.
    Frank in Fla

Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport View Post
    Bruno shooters supply has a decent inventory as well. I did a powder order about a week ago through them in addition to Powder Valley.

Andrew
    +1...roger that

Shooters pro shop has some 7mm 140 grn bullets on their site, not many left.

esquared
    Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport View Post

Andrew
    They are starting to get low now and they backing up on orders. I am in there once a week or so and supply is dwindling. I have stopped talking about who has what because of the **** hoarders and people reselling them on gunbroker screwing the other shooters. Some clown tried to buy up the majority of the bullets, powder and primers from another local store and the owner told him to leave and never come back.

I hope we can hold on long enough, so those who maxed out there credit cards, to hoard or gouge other shooters, will take a hard hit and start to have to unload the stuff cheap, it would serve them right.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I've got barely enough supplies to get by for a year or two, I only shoot 10 to 20 rounds at any given range session and only shoot to develop loads for accuracy. Once I find the ideal loads--my weapon goes into the safe to sleep. The situation is basically you have to know when a dealer gets their shipment in and time your order to be there when it does. I've seen one dealer with bare shelves while another nearby may have just filled theirs.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    I've been wanting to start reloading. But hesitate to put "Gun Money" into it just now if I can't find the supplies to get rolling. Been lucky enough to be able to pick up a few extra rounds once every 2 weeks or so. But would like to get to experience that "Perfect Load" feeling. That and I'm trying to deal on a used Savage n thats put the press on hold till I see where thats going. Up side is my small stock-pile of plinker .223 rounds ought to be better then cash to an AR guy.

I'd get into reloading if I were you--there's no telling when or if the "great ban craze" will end. It's not inconceivable that you could not find ammo at all in the near future. I might even pick a caliber gun based solely on ammo availability--I notice that in general 270/30-06 ammo, reload materials are still fairly available.

Hey If you are going to load 223, I would not hesitate to set up shop, brass is available "there must be a billion pcs on this planet at any given time" primers good luck buying a brick but I am sure someone will spare a tray or two, and powder if you use something on the faster side like H4198 or H322 or RL7 or even RL10X, you can make loads with as little as 20gr of powder so one pound of powder can make 350 rounds, and these powders are usually available since they are on the faster side, and then at they other end of the spectrum you can go as slow as H4831, is it the best powder for your application no, can you go shooting and enjoy yourself, absolutely 250 times to be exact, a full case will get you that amount of loads from a pound, so between those powders that I mentioned there are 55 different powders in between both of them so there has got to be something on the shelf, any other caliber that's more of a challenge but 223 go for it.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Hey If you are going to load 223, I would not hesitate to set up shop, brass is available "there must be a billion pcs on this planet at any given time" primers good luck buying a brick but I am sure someone will spare a tray or two, and powder if you use something on the faster side like H4198 or H322 or RL7 or even RL10X, you can make loads with as little as 20gr of powder so one pound of powder can make 350 rounds, and these powders are usually available since they are on the faster side, and then at they other end of the spectrum you can go as slow as H4831, is it the best powder for your application no, can you go shooting and enjoy yourself, absolutely 250 times to be exact, a full case will get you that amount of loads from a pound, so between those powders that I mentioned there are 55 different powders in between both of them so there has got to be something on the shelf, any other caliber that's more of a challenge but 223 go for it.

Tanks Dean
    nice,
    +1

Basic Member
    Hmn yeah 223 and 308 was thinking of setting up with RL 17 to share between the two based on others recommendations. Still waiting to see if that used Savage follows me home in the next day or so. If not I'll probably try ordering a Lee Loadmaster to start out with. No clue why I think thats the one price maybe? RCBS looks solid too but kinda spendy to upgrade to a turret.

Yes Thermaler I did go with these with the thought they would be more available then other calibers. Turns out the less popular rounds are more readily available. Just spent $63 dollars for 60 rounds this morning on ammo almost made my wallet collapse. But the sun is shining so we're gonna shoot today come heck or high water. Got the last box of .223 rounds just because it was there. Even though it was high end Winchester varmit poly tips.

esquared
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post

Tanks Dean
    Brass is available and going for up to $200 per 1000 right now. Bullets are in short supply and same for primers.

Basic Member
    If you're looking to reload, you might find a good deal on a press, be it used or otherwise.

I just got home from the range & as I walked out each brass bucket was 1/3 to 1/2 full of .223

Too bad I don't have a .223 barrel.... Yet.

esquared
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    If you're looking to reload, you might find a good deal on a press, be it used or otherwise.

I just got home from the range & as I walked out each brass bucket was 1/3 to 1/2 full of .223

Too bad I don't have a .223 barrel.... Yet.
    Dillon is at least six weeks out from what a friend told me on delivering presses. I just sold my last 550 press with 6 conversions and six tool heads with dies and powder measures, I listed it locally for best offer and some clown paid close to $1600 for it, almost paid for the new 1050 I replaced it with. There ARE no good deals, people are panic buying. I almost felt bad taking this much for a 550 but I figure if he paid that much he wont be buying up all the supplies.

Basic Member
    If you're looking for a press & die set up, i was looking at a few used & a couple new presses - Lee & RCBS at my local supplier.
    I can get you some numbers if you want...

palerider338
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'd get into reloading if I were you--there's no telling when or if the "great ban craze" will end. It's not inconceivable that you could not find ammo at all in the near future. I might even pick a caliber gun based solely on ammo availability--I notice that in general 270/30-06 ammo, reload materials are still fairly available.
    That's one of the reasons I am shooting a 30-06 and just bought a low round Stevens in .270 for chump change. Can always neck down to 25-06 when I start reloading later on.

Basic Member
    Looking for a good, inexpensive way to start reloading? If you can find one of these, I highly recommend it. Great way to start out. Just add die set, brass, powder, primers & bullets. Stir vigorously. Serve anytime.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121...tage-press-kit

Basic Member
    Funny saw one on Ebay today then went to Midway to see what their price was. Really have to be careful in this market a guy could easily get dupered. Guess we sorta jacked this thread sorry OP!

maxl
    I decided after the last big scare we had in 08 I wouldn't be caught short on supplies again,so from 09 or so I slowly added bullets,powder,primers and brass until about a year ago when I realized I have enough to last my lifetime. When this all settles down and it will eventually and prices return to normal (I Hope) Some of you can stock up,if your budget allows for it. There will always be those in Washington to create this chaos,that is something that will never change but with enough supplies on hand you worry less about which way the polictical winds are blowing.

hockeyref
    Quote Originally Posted by maxl View Post
    I decided after the last big scare we had in 08 I wouldn't be caught short on supplies again,so from 09 or so I slowly added bullets,powder,primers and brass until about a year ago when I realized I have enough to last my lifetime. When this all settles down and it will eventually and prices return to normal (I Hope) Some of you can stock up,if your budget allows for it. There will always be those in Washington to create this chaos,that is something that will never change but with enough supplies on hand you worry less about which way the polictical winds are blowing.
    I wanted to do that too.... going back to prob 2005. Thing is, every time I was in a position to stock up something came up that was more important - in one way or another.... between the house, the cars, losing a job, scraping by without for a couple years... Didn't thin the herd much but most of what was in the safe was on the "expendable list". I finally got a full time job about a year and a half ago but we are ~$10k less total household income than 2008 and everything doubled in price...

maxl
    I guess I don't understand? Why would anyone buy powder,primers and bullets on gunbroker at inflated prices. It's not like they are in a combat zone and need ammo to stay alive. Given time this will all go away and settle back to normal. The million dollar question is when?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast