Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok guys, help me vent....

Basic Member

ok guys, help me vent....

i sold my remmy 300rum on gunbroker a while back, all was well till today. i get this phone call from the new owner all bent out of shape because the 200gr bullet in a 10 twist is hitting the target sideways.

he was quite verbal and arguementive, threatening all kinds of dumb stuff, but i finally lost it and hung up on him when he informed me that this all was happening at 25yds.

unforunately, i still have to deal with this individual, so give me your opinion on the impacting issue, i want to make sure i am not missing anything, and any other comments you might have as well.
    God still loves you,   yep even on them days....

Re: ok guys, help me vent....

Well, I guess you know how Fred Moreo feels now. I'm no expert, but I wonder if a 200 gr out of a 300 RUM IS still somewhat sideways at 25 yards.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

dcloco

Um...why is he bothering at 25 yards?

Basic Member

What's the twist of the RUM barrel?
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by hershey
    10 twist .

Uncle Jack

If that guy has any of whatever he's smoking for sale, I'm in.

uj

Basic Member

ok guys this story gets even better, he sent me his load data. the first two rounds fired were factory ammo done at the smith to test functionality. the 3rd round fired down the barrel was 7 grains above published max for the powder manufacurer, and 5.5 grains for the bullet manufacturer, fired by him. this is on a custom cut tight chamber w/ some freebore on a 28" tube, hell of a way to break in a new barrel. i politely told him to enjoy HIS new gun, and he might want to check his lugs and bolt before he fired it again.

dcloco

Nice. Good to get the info from the loads he was using.

DGD6MM

It's very simple to shoot a rifle- but you do need to be SMARTER then what your working with. :D

kslefty

In all fairness to him 7 grains is what 6-10% over max, would you be sweating 1 or 2 grains over max in a .223? Just making the point that the 7 gr. sounds a lot worse than it probably is.

Uncle Jack

7 grains over max is kinda one drink over the limit.....it may not kill you, but it ain't gonna do you no good either.

uj

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kslefty
    In all fairness to him 7 grains is what 6-10% over max, would you be sweating 1 or 2 grains over max in a .223? Just making the point that the 7 gr. sounds a lot worse than it probably is.
    i agree w/ your point, but for the very first round to be shot out of a barrel for load work ups and break in? he had no idea what it would build for pressures or anything. my ft/r will not shoot max published loads, it blows the web out bad enough it won't go back in the shell plate. i agree that i would of probably started at near max and probably bumped 2 gr at a time till i got a ways over posted max or pressure signs or whatever, but thats pretty brave, but the point to this is he chose to complain and create a big stink before backing the load down and trying something w/ in the spec. the free bore was signigant too, set up is for the big heavy long skinny bullets and he didn't even load to sammi spec on length, so probably a compressed load as it was an extruded powder.

demented

Seeing your post here tells me you want to do the right thing. IMO, just as soon as he sent even one round downrange that was loaded over book max, his and my dealings would be done. I don't sell anything thats guaranteed idiot proof, and you can't either.

Basic Member

oh he pretty much got my point, i told him if he could get either nosler or hodgdon to come to his defense then i'd consider communicating further, but we all know what they would say and so does he. he knows he shot himself in the foot and it is his problem now. my closing comments on our last correspondance was to get a reloading book and start at page one and start reading. i actually think he is somewhat skilled and competent in some things based on his knowledge, but i think its aweful stupid to load the very first round ever fire from a new barrel above max, and i definately got my point across.

Basic Member

The guy was never going to be happy no matter what you would have done.

I see them all the time around here. People do the dumbest things then try to blame everyone else for their idiotic ways.

Dolomite

CJ in WY

Shooting a 300 at 25 yards= strike one
    Going over book with the first break in shots=Strike two
    Telling you he did this=Strike three
    Name the fool so we can avoid dealing with him!!!!

I'll leave this up to remind me not to be so quick to judge :-[

ctrout

I'm not getting why everyone is so against shooting at 25 yards. Is the 300 unlike any other gun in that it keyholes at 25 yds but will shoot bug holes at 100 and beyond? I often do initial sight-in at 25 yds before moving out to 100. I've never seen keyholing from any gun at any distance unless I was using the wrong bullet.

DGD6MM

I had a custom chambered .300 RUM that was pressure sensitive to a little to much powder, but had a sweetspot that yielded good velocity and accuracy. But in all fairness it was never shot at 25 yards.

docsleepy

In order to get a real keyhole, didn't he either have to have either (a) some form of failure in the normal spinning motion of the bullet, or (b) some damage to the projectile itself?

I don't get how to get (a) unless there is damage to the barrel / rifling

but (b) might be possible if he also crimped in some odd way and then with the overpressure had destruction of the bullet as it freed itself from the case in a violent fashion --

Personally, I have accidentally overloaded three rounds in my life (too heavy a bullet) on a .223 and that was probably only by a grain or so, and I would never even think of doing that stupid a move again. I was a newbie and didn't recognize the primer damage immmediately when the little curl of smoke came out of the action, but after the third one, I caught on and pulled all those rounds apart. And if I remember right, that was actually INSIDE the pubished data, but I had the bullet seated out closer to the lands than the published, so I got higher pressures..... there are a zillion ways to foul this up and you are right to politely but firmly suggest he take responsibility for grossly and intententionallky overloading the cartridge.

Now it would be wise for him to carefully inspect the bore, throat, and bolt. If no signs of damage, he might try some factory loads!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctrout
    I often do initial sight-in at 25 yds before moving out to 100.
    Me too.

Woodser

I do not know the full story on the situation, but if it was me selling the rifle and I had offered any kind of warranty or guaranty of functionality or fitness, the buyer's firing of an load at 7 grains over published data would have instantly voided any such promise. And, any further communication from the buyer would be ignored, with a final note saying he was on his own.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LG
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrout
    I often do initial sight-in at 25 yds before moving out to 100.
    Me too.
    i think my sight in bench is at 40 yds, but it is just the accumulation of ignorance w/ this situation that amazes me. we all know most bullets fall asleep at some point in flight, but most do not do so by 25yds. another small laugh is he told me he needed at least 3200fps out of his 200gr bullets to do what he wanted it to do.

Quackaddict

Will a 338 Lapua even do that?

ctrout

Yes.

lwink

If I can tack on a dumb question (sorry hershey) -- what part of the case are we talking about when we say expanded web (early pressure signs)? I've had my assumptions but never been quite sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast