Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hard to chamber a round.

tacticalpanda

hard to chamber a round.

Hi. Having lots of problems lately.

Just got my build complete, Stevens 200 action with Criterion barrel in .308. Took it out today for the first time. I found it really hard to chamber a round. I would go to chamber it and it would get stuck. I would have to use a lot of force to get it to chamber by pushing the bolt handle down.

Anyone know whats causing this and how to fix it?

Head space sounds too tight. Did you use gages or a new case.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

tacticalpanda
    I brought it to a gunsmith to headspace Friday. He used gauges.

Kill N Grill
    Factory brass? Hand loads previosly fired?

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by Kill N Grill View Post
    Factory brass? Hand loads previosly fired?
    factory brass. Not the best, CBC, only stuff I can find in shops around here. I was hoping it was the ammo. Never fired previously. This was the first time out with it.

Also it is in a mcree precision stock. I remember seeing a youtube video where a guy was having the same problem but with a Rem 700. I don't possibly see how the stock could make it hard to chamber the round, but I am a novice so what do I know.

Sounds to me like the bolt that holds the stock is to long, and sticking up into they action, just loosen it a couple turns and see if that fixes it, if it does just trim the bolt.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Sounds to me like the bolt that holds the stock is to long, and sticking up into they action, just loosen it a couple turns and see if that fixes it, if it does just trim the bolt.

Dean
    You're talking about the rear bolt correct? I tried that and it is the same. Round chambers but then getting the bolt down needs a lot of force.

Kill N Grill
    try the forward one. If that does not work take the action out of the stock and try to chamber a round. If it wond chamber smoothly take it back to the smith that installed your barrel. He may have used wrong gauges.

tacticalpanda
    try the forward one. If that does not work take the action out of the stock and try to chamber a round. If it wond chamber smoothly take it back to the smith that installed your barrel. He may have used wrong gauges.

Ok will give it a try. Thanks!

Kill N Grill
    Take some of the ammo with you to the smith so he will understand your problem.

tacticalpanda
    Well tried both. Still the same. So chances are it wasn't head spaced correctly?

tacticalpanda
    Take some of the ammo with you to the smith so he will understand your problem.
    Will give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.

Basic Member
    Take a black marker and color up the bullet and shoulder of the brass. Once dry try to chamber it and once removed look to see which one shows contact.

Shoulder contact means headspace.
    Bullet contact would be a reamer issue for the throat.

Kill N Grill
    Update us after you get the issue resolved. I would say it is a head space prob.

Look at the brass closely, if it is that hard to cycle there has to be marks on the brass.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

tacticalpanda
    Ok tried coloring it in. Looks to be a reaming issue. Cycled this bullet a few times. I did notice if I really drive the bolt in it will work just fine. But it has to go in with a lot of force.

So does the chamber have to be reamed?

EDIT: Actually looks like a little shoulder contact as well?

Seat the bullet deeper, until you can't see the cannelure and try it again.

Dean

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Seat the bullet deeper, until you can't see the cannelure and try it again.

Dean
    Sorry not sure if I follow 100%. This was factory ammo. So could this be an ammo problem? Really wish I could find some other .308 ammo. It is cheap CBC brazilian ammo. Only stuff available in shops up here.

Just doing process of elimination, can you find away to push it in further, actually measure it first and then after.

Dean

stangfish
    What if he does not have a press or seater die?

tacticalpanda
    I don't have a calipers. Can only get a rough estimate. I have a press but no dies.

tacticalpanda
    Also just picked up the round and noticed it was sharp on the bottom. Looks all beat up on the bottom of the round.

tacticalpanda
    And just went through my brass I fired today and the brass I fired through my friends stevens 200 last weekend. The brass from today all have a big piece missing from the rim. You can feel the burr and notice it. The brass I fired from my friends gun last week doesn't have these marks.

OK if you have a press perfect, It does not have to be pretty, I am just trying to see if the bullet is seated out to far for that chamber, so rest the cartridge on the ram, and use something to block the threaded hole where the dies go, like a pair of pliers hold them underneath the top like where the decapping pin would be, and just bump the bullet in a little to they amount I mentioned, and then chamber it.

Dean

I was typing away when you posted those picks, it looks like the head space is to tight, but try what I asked you anyway, and let us know your findings.

Dean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast