Thread: Removing recoil pad from model 25 Walking Varminter

6x45

Removing recoil pad from model 25 Walking Varminter

I have a model 25 WV with the black synthetic stock. I really like the gun and it's a great shooter. The only thing that I don't like is the big, gummy recoil pad. It snags upmwhen shouldering the gun and overall is a hindrance. I'm wondering how I can remove it without screwing anything up and installing a smooth buttplate. Any ideas?

Given the walking varminter is fairly new to the market it's highly likely you're venturing into virgin territory. Typically there are two screws holding the pad on - one at the top and one at the bottom - but they could be glued on as well. The buttstock is hollow though so I would lean toward it being attached with screws.

As far as finding a replacement, it will have to be a grind-to-fit and you might run into an issue if it's recessed into the buttstock a little.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Make yourself a thin buttplate out of wood, Can stain and finish to match stock.

Call and ask for removal instructions, if you have not done so. I have a kinda stiff shlouder and most stocks are a little long. Reducing over all length up to 3/4 is fine for me. I do like to protect stock from damage, hence the wooden 'plate'.

Basic Member
    So what did you end up doing?
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

thomae
    My guess is that it has standard screw holes aligned vertically, one toward the top, one toward the bottom.

With a soft recoil pad, often the pad material "closes up" around the screw holes. Gently poking around with a Phillips screwdriver (or a nail or rod that has been ground down so it has a rounded tip that won't damage the pad material) can help find the holes without damaging the pad, and then once you find the holes, using lubrication on the shaft of the screwdriver (I know that sounds like a double entendre, but I am being very serious here) will help a lot. It keeps the pad from grabbing onto the screwdriver and trying to twist around the screwdriver shaft.

Dummos
    The recoil pad on the wv is glued to the insert that is removed with the button on top and taking out the rear sling swivel. The only way to get the pad off the plate is with a knife hope this helps

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dummos View Post
    The recoil pad on the wv is glued to the insert that is removed with the button on top and taking out the rear sling swivel. The only way to get the pad off the plate is with a knife hope this helps
    I'll have to look at the WV closer but the B.Mag looks to be set up the same.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

davemuzz
    Before you go thru all of that madness, take a look at this product from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod7402.aspx It's called Kick-EEZ\Slick-EEZ and what it does seems to be right up your alley. It takes a sticky recoil pad and with a light application, makes the pad harder and "slicker" so that it doesn't hang up on your outer clothing when you shoulder you rifle or shotgun. Hey....for $30 plus shipping it may turn out to be one of your best investments.

FWIW

Dave