Thread: questions and need help with choate tactical stock (pic heavy)

Basic Member

questions and need help with choate tactical stock (pic heavy)

well, my choate LA centerfeed stock came in today. i'm not completely happy with it so far, but just have to see if i can correct some of the issues. it came with only the front action screw that fits as it should. the centerfeed magazine fits properly. there seems to be poor fitment in the bolt area and the stock in the bolt area is poorly finished. nice big old seam down the underside of the stock. the trigger seems really recessed in the stock compared to my old BVSS stock. the trigger guard is a huge issue. i am using the trigger guard from a BVSS stock and it doesn't fit. is this the wrong trigger guard to use? it fits poorly and the trigger hits the trigger guard when pulled back. the BVSS action screws don't work in the rear action hole as one is too long and the other is too short, but i may have the wrong trigger guard. what am i doing wrong here? any and all help is greatly appreciated.

picture of my action in the stock

left side of the stock

right side of the stock

i know the tang is supposed to be elevated but this seems excessive

seems like a poor fit in the bolt area

the trigger seems too recessed in the stock

the trigger still seems too recessed in the stock

this is the trigger guard from by BVSS stock. is this the wrongs trigger guard cause it doesn't fit?

picture of my trigger guard

trigger hits the guard when it is in place

plutonium
    i will be getting the chaote sniper stock for the 12 bvss hope i dont have these problems... but if i do i guess ,,i hope it will be fun working out the bugs

thomae
    There are two types of metal trigger guards. One has a deeper area in front (Where the action screw goes through the trigger guard) than yours. You need to try and find that trigger guard, or a simpler solution is to purchase a few washers and put them under the trigger guard until the front is flush.

From the pictures, it looks like the rear of trigger assy. is making contact with the stock, tilting the rear of the action up. Remove the trigger & check to see if rear of action sets lower in stock, if it does trigger is contacting stock & material will need to be removed, from stock. Trigger is probably making contact in area below adjustment spring. Also check trigger housing bracket for clearance. You may want to use some type of marker, such as lip stick on the metal parts to see where they are touching the stock. After trigger is taken care of, check for clearance between receiver tang & stock, if there is no clearance the receiver may not be making full contact with bedding block.

Basic Member
    i was thinking the same thing looks like the rear is sticking on something kinda looks like the trigger is canted

Here is a picture I took of my old stock(right) and the new Choate Tactical stock. The cutout for the trigger on the Choate stock is considerably shorter. The trigger on mine was hitting the stock in the front of the trigger. I had to remove almost 1/2" of material in the front of the inlet for the trigger. The back of the trigger was OK because it's much higher.

Hope this helps.
    Gary

Basic Member
    Does anyone read the product description for these stocks? I am surprised to see so many reviews complaining about the rear safety/bolt area not sitting flush with stock. Reason is is its not suppose to! Its designed that way for whatever reason.

Now yours does seems to have alittle more issue because maybe the inletting around trigger area is hanging it up but you should still have a small gap between stock and action at the rear.

My choate fit nicely, except rear trigger guard portion was too snug. Alittle dremel cartridge roll work and it fit like a glove

Basic Member
    Your action is def not all the way down in the back. You probably have to trim something back a little on the trigger part.... I have a tiny gap on the safety tang, but def not that much. And the trigger goes much further down in mine. But, I prob have a diff version of the stock and gun...... but looks to me that you are def hitting something..... dremel.......

cheapshot
    My choate tactical came with its own trigger guard and all hardware. You are missing some parts. Who did you order it from?

Basic Member
    Ok, update on stock. I trimmed up around the trigger area some. Made no difference. I put bedding marker on the action and it is contacting both parts of the bedding block. It's just really high at the tang. I said screw it and just bedded the action. I still need to take it out and shoot it.

There was only 1 screw included with the stock. The checklist did not have a trigger guard listed and only had 1 screw listed to be included. Bought it from EABCO.