Thread: HELP - Ammo Guidance FMJ Ball ammo - New Savae 110 3006??????

vin100

HELP - Ammo Guidance FMJ Ball ammo - New Savae 110 3006??????

Guys need help here- I pump what ever .223 i can through my 111 - love the gun - clean always no issues. I totally understand accuracy issues as I see that all the time at range with batches of WPA etc. perfect to plink.

BUT

Just paid for my first 110 in 3006. want to hunt keep it well. Ammo is expensive and finding deals on 30-06 FMJ Ball ammo - 150gr, non-corrosive, boxer primed new LC brass. Am I doing long term damage by running cheaper / older military ammo??

I have never hunted big game - but wil. I respect and like savage - wanted a 3006 bcs a good universal round. But - just because priced right dont want to trash barrel / action. I am all about paying for quality but have no base line. I realize it is highly debatable question but when do just say I will only shoot premium or when do you care etc.

Thank you!

V.

JCalhoun
    It will be fine.

Do you plan on reloading in the future?

vin100
    I do. and realize I need brass tk do so...
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    It will be fine.

Do you plan on reloading in the future?

ellobo
    For plinking and practice buy bulk cheap bullets of the same wgt you hunt with in a better grade bullet. Use your mil brass to relaod. Be carefull of older mil surplus as it might have mercuric primers which can corrode your barrel if you dont clean properly after each use.

El Lobo

Uuuhhhh.... Mercury fulminate isn't corrosive.
    It losses power in storage, and creates a zinc coating on the cases; effectively shortening their reloadable life. See page 486 in Hatcher's notebook.
    Potassium Chlorate, which was sometimes added to the MF, is what causes the corrosive salts.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

JCalhoun
    A lot mil-surp shooters use ammonia based glass cleaner such as Windex when cleaning the bore after shooting the older ammo.

JCalhoun
    If it is LC made after the Korean War you shouldn't have corrosive primers anyway.

n6nvr
    Was at my local gun store for the first time this year. About the only ammo they had in bulk was Korean 30-06. More than I felt like paying. Asked if it was corrosive. He said allegedly not, but he was advising purchasers to treat it as such. Not that much harder to clean, a small price to keep your rifle in better shape. Better safe than sorry.

JCalhoun
    One thing to keep in mind when using .30-06 military ball ammo is that it was designed to feed M-1 Garands, BAR's and M-1919 machine guns so they may not chamber in a SAAMI spec chamber like the Savage has.