I tried posting this once before and it hit the dead letter file, so let's see if it goes through this time...

Just purchased a new Axis .22-250 to do a little varmint hunting. I like most things about the gun and its a great value, but there is one nagging problem I can't get used to: high bolt lift force. Holding the gun on one's shoulder and trying to cycle the action quickly and smoothly is a difficult maneuver, due to the rather high bolt lift force necessary. By comparison, my only other BA rifle is a Ruger American, which has a very smooth and easy-to-actuate bolt for quick followup shots..

I've tried other Axis models and they all seem to have the same stiff feel to the bolt. Is this just a Savage Axis design characteristic? A friend has put many thousand rounds through his Axis, and the bolt is just as stiff as the day he bought it, so wearing it in does not seem to be an option.

Somebody here once posted that using "proper" grease on the bolt reduced bolt lift by 25% but he did not elaborate as to what type of grease he used, nor where and how he applied it. I want to make sure I do not cause any issues by greasing the bolt and would like if somebody could advise as to the type of grease, and exactly where to apply, as to not interfere with firing integrity.

Any comments and advice on the bolt lift force issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
San Diego, CA