Thread: Red dot/Holographic sites

Basic Member

Red dot/Holographic sites

Hello.
    I was thinking about putting a reflex type sight on my 11-87 12 ga 21" cantilever turkey gun.
    The type that has a flat see thru lense with a dot or cross projected onto it.
    I see all sorts of lesser name brands for under $60.00 and even no name ones for less.
    What have been your experience good or bad with these ?
    Thanks
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Red dots and turkeys are a natural. They're great in low light and adjustable for bright light. I have used Tasco PDP's for years but have changed over to AimPoint 9000's. My primary reason was due to the red hue you see from the front of the red dot. Almost every turkey I've shot has had its eyes locked onto that red hue when I shot him. That's Ok. What's not OK are the ones who see the red hue and immediately duck and run for the hills. I'm a firm believe in ARD's (Anti Reflection Devices) for turkey hunting. No red glow. Sightron has a red dot that comes with an ARD for around $150.00. AimPoint starts at $400.00 and up. The old Tasco' were very durable but don't have an ARD that will fit them. The new Tasco' just aren't as durable. Unfortunately I bought one just before I found out about the Sightron. That one will go on an AR or my Binelli SBE slug barrel.

A friend of mine bought a FastFire (flat see thru lens) and found that head position had to be perfect for it to work, that the red dot was not bright enough for bright sunlight, and the sight adjustments were erratic but OK once sighted in. I worry about the exposed lens in rain, fog, or snow (for those who have seen late season snow flurries). I like flip up protective caps for the elements.

With a red dot the worst that can happen is you will have to place the head back on the turkey for the pictures, and that is not uncommon inside of 20 yards.
    Savage: 243 Win, 250 Savage, 25-06, 260AI, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 30-06 AR-15: 6.8 SPC II, 22LR, 223 Service, 556 Carbine TC Encore: 6.8 SPC, 30-06

Take a look at the Mueller web site and look at the " quick shot". I had originally bought mine for a bow but ended up putting on my Win.1200. Nice little compact sight.

http://muelleroptics.com/mqs12233
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow