Thread: New BTCSS in .223 scope question

moonbogg

New BTCSS in .223 scope question

Hi, my first rifle and I am still waiting for the 10 day california period to end, so in the mean time I will buy a scope and mount. I think the Nikon Monarch 5-20 BDC would be a decent scope in my price range, unless you can suggest another. I don't know what mounts and rings to buy. I want a good quality setup for base and rings. I am open to single and double piece bases. Any suggestions for a quality and nice looking set of mounts and rings?

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, why doesn't this gun come with a polished barrel finish like it used to? They all seem to be matte now. It would have been great to have a shiny gun I think, but it still looks great.

The Monarch is a good scope. I like Ironsighter one piece bases a lot. As for rings, just make sure you get the right height for the scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...-action-silver

moonbogg
    Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a steel base and a decent set of rings. I can't pay $300 for a base and rings, but I wouldn't mind getting the best I can for maybe around $200 for both mount and rings. I am totally clueless really since i've never done this before.
    Also, how do I determine what the right height is for rings? If I order online and its wrong, then I am sort of screwed. Do I need to take the rifle in to a shop and have it measured there?

1ShotKing
    I would strongly suggest getting a scope without BDC. Especially the Nikon system. Not because it doesn't work, but because it takes up way too much space. I think the system has a place, and that place IMO is on a big game hunting rifle. There your targets are bigger and easier to see, and pin-point accuracy is not really needed. With the BDC in the Nikon scopes there is simply too much clutter for precision work. The Monarch itself is a fine scope, I would have no issues using one. I have seen a 4-16 power one, with the standard "nikoplex" reticle and it is very nice. Turret adjustments are spot on as well.

1ShotKing

moonbogg
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    I would strongly suggest getting a scope without BDC. Especially the Nikon system. Not because it doesn't work, but because it takes up way too much space. I think the system has a place, and that place IMO is on a big game hunting rifle. There your targets are bigger and easier to see, and pin-point accuracy is not really needed. With the BDC in the Nikon scopes there is simply too much clutter for precision work. The Monarch itself is a fine scope, I would have no issues using one. I have seen a 4-16 power one, with the standard "nikoplex" reticle and it is very nice. Turret adjustments are spot on as well.

1ShotKing

I have been questioning the BDC scope for the exact reasons you pointed out. I did a little reading about it. I am not likely to take the time to calculate (even using an iphone app), for my particular bullet, which circles need to be used etc, not to mention the cluttered view. Thanks for your input. Hearing it from you sealed the deal on the nikoplex.

I have decided on a DNZ single piece mount. I was skeptical because of the low cost, but it looks like a solid mount to me and I like the simplicity of having the rings integrated and lined up etc. I read some favorable comments about the DNZ so I figured i'd just try it out.
    ****, I hope this gun shoots! I have this thought in the back of my mind that I will somehow be unlucky and get a dud rifle. I am also paranoid as hell about stuff like bedding the action, zero shift from a non bedded action, etc etc. I am new to rifle shooting and I am shrouded in noobness, and when I read all this stuff about people lapping their scope mounts, pillar bedding their actions (make sure you float that tang! float that **** tang!) all I can think of is, "wtf is a tang?". Then I assume that my rig will suck...ok end rant.....OH WAIT...My accuracy will suck and i'll go broke if I don't hand load! Oh jesus, now I have to be an expert at hand loading.....OK end rant for real.

1ShotKing
    Just relax. I have a similar rifle (VLP DBM) in 223. Here's the set up.

And, here's my best group to date.

I have done nothing to the rifle except for mount it up, and shoot it. I have mounted many scopes in the last year and I am very particular with the work that I do. Aside from that I have no training in the area. I torqued the action screws to 25 and 20 inch pounds if my memory is correct, 25 for the front screw and 20 for the rear. The tang is the area behind the action where the safety is mounted. It should free float. I am shooting factory Hornady superformance varmint 53 grain load. The scope is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40, on a weaver 1 piece picatinny rail with leupold PRW rings.

1ShotKing

moonbogg
    OK, I have done more reading and decided I can increase the budget to the $800 range for the upper end. I really don't want to find myself wishing I had spent more on a scope, so I will spend as much as I can stomach right now. I am looking at the nikon monarch 6-24 x 50 and the sightron S3 6-24 x 50. I took a look at the Vortex Viper PST but it seems to be a tactical scope and might not have good reticle options for target shooting. Any ideas for a good target scope in this price range?

1ShotKing
    Check out the Leupold Mark 4 target scope. Leupold product # 56140. Seriously looking at this one myself.

1ShotKing

moonbogg
    Well, I really wanted the Sightron S3 6-24x50, but you know, I didn't want to use my gun and feel bad about how much I spent, so I went ahead with the Monarch 5-20 x 44 and I got it new for $428. Thats about half the price of the Sightron, the monarch isn't exactly garbage and I feel much better about this purchase. Too easy to start reaching way out of budget with this stuff. I climbed that mental price ladder and justified each mild increase in cost, and pretty soon ended up at 2 or 3 times what I initially wanted to spend! So I went back to my first choice. Thanks for the suggestions.

moonbogg
    OK, so I took it out for the first time and it went really well. I only shot 80 rounds during which I sighted it in decently. After I was comfortable, I went for the bullseye and got all hits on the bullseye at 100 yards. I expect to shoot again this weekend and am looking forward to refining the zero and just having fun. Love this gun.