Thread: Which cleaning rod?

sliderspal

Which cleaning rod?

I have a new MK II FSS and i am a bit confused as to which cleaning rod would be the correct for this rifle.
    I have a possum hollow bore guide on the way but I am not sure if I should get the Pro Shot 17 to 20 or the 22 to 27 stainless rod for use with my rifle?
    Looking at the Pro Shot 22 rimfire brushes they show a 8/32 thread, so would it be safe to assume that I should get the 22 to 27 rod as the thread size on this rod is also 8/32?
    The 17 to 20 rod has a 5/40 thread.
    If Pro Shot wanted you to use the 17 to 20 rod with 22 rimfire wouldn't they then use a 5/40 thread on their 22 rimfire brush instead of using a 8/32 thread on the 22 rimfire brush?
    Last edited by sliderspal; 03-07-2013 at 11:26 PM.

JCalhoun
    I use the Tipton graphite rod with Dewey brushes and jags so I can't say for sure what the correct Shooters Choice rod would be.

tzvier
    I use a rod/kit made for a M4, works just fine for me.

Deerhunter 28
    I use Pro Shot

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

sliderspal
    OK which Pro Shot rod do you use?
    Sure would be nice if you tried to answer the original question.

I would and do use Dewey 22 rod and brushes, never had a problem and I have worn a few out.It only takes me 20 minutes to get a replacement,seeing as how they are right down the road.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Am I missing something, I never new you had to use some special kit to clean a 22. I have used a Hoppes Bore Snake on mine. Is that not a good?

JCalhoun
    A bore snake works great for quick cleaning but sometimes you just want to run a patch down the bore or swap with a nylon bore brush.

Note, you don't need to clean a rimfire a lot. Just when accuracy falls off or when put it away for a while. I like to run a couple of dry patches down the bore after shooting a few times just to get the soot out.

Different caliber rods have different thread sizes and that thread size is standardized for that caliber. As such, you can't use a 17 caliber rod with 22 caliber jags or mops or brushes without an adapter.

17/20cal = 5 x40
    22cal and up = 8 x 32
    Shotgun = 5/16 x 27
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I use a Pro Shot 17cal rod with a 5/40 to 8/32 adaptor. I typically use a 20cal jag (5/40 threads) with a thick patch and a 22cal brush with the adaptor. If you use thin patches a 22cal jag will probably be a better shoice. There's probably other companies that make them too, but I know both Pro Shot and Dewey make the adaptors so you can use 22 brushes/jags on a 17cal rod.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]