Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel install did I mess up?

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by tacticalpanda View Post
    I was just removing move old barrel nut and all these sand like balls started to come out. Wondering if they are still caught in the action.
    Those little balls are the steel ball used to peen the outside surface of the metal prior to blueing. They get caught up in the threads and the bluing salts make them stick there. Go over all your threads, inside and out with some solvent (I used Kroil) and a toothpick and pick them out one by one. They will keep the barrel from threading on if they are in the threads. Compressed air or canned air for cleaning computers may help, but in my case I have had to pick them out manually.

When you clean out the threads in the receiver and the old barrel, see if it will screw back in by hand. Then try the new one.

Also, if you have calipers, measure the outside diameter of the threads just to make sure it is not a large shank barrel. Stranger things have happened.

tacticalpanda
    The old CM barrle nut fits on the SS barrel fine. I went through and cleaned out the threads on the action about 1/4 of the way down. Still only goes 1/4 turn in then stops. Will pick up some solvent, but was planning on picking up a gun or two tomorrow so I may take this with me and see if they can work on it.

Thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming if you got it. I hate giving up on stuff.

JCalhoun
    I'd still try cleaning the threads with brake parts cleaner and wire brush then give the threads a good coating of STP or gear oil.

If that doesn't work, you are fairly close to the Savage factory in Westfield, MA. It might be worth it to give them a try.

tacticalpanda
    Will try in the morning. Will keep playing with it tonight.

JCalhoun
    Did the receiver ring some how become twisted or distorted when you removed the original barrel? That could make the barrels start cocked when you try to screw them in.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Did the receiver ring some how become twisted or distorted when you removed the original barrel? That could make the barrels start cocked when you try to screw them in.

I hope not. I tried to check by living up the optics screws on top and they seem to line up. Is there any way to tell? I hope I don't have a $300 paper weight.

JCalhoun
    It would be hard to check without something machinist oriented.

I don't think that would be the problem though.

65impala
    after cleaning your threads very good try putting pressure on the barrel towards the receiver while turning it backwards. After turning a bit you should feel it "click" as the threads drop into place. When you feel it drop then start turning it the correct way and see if it'll thread in for you. A lot of times it is hard to get the threads tarted correctly on large, fine threaded bolts (or in this case, barrel) and that's theold trick I've always used.

It is very easy to cross thread a fine threaded fastener like this and usually it's not enough to cause any issues of strength, but it is enough to make it a pain to thread together!

Did any of that make sense?

tacticalpanda
    OK guys finally got it. Put it back int he action wrench and tried to put the old barrel in. Started to turn then kept trying as hard as possible and it started to finally go in. Got it half way in the pulled it back out put the new one in and it twisted all the way in.

Thanks for the help. I think it was from cleaning the threads over and over with a steel pick. Now i Need some STP and should be good to go.

kaferhaus
    You've "rolled" the first thread in the reciever. You'll need a strong dental pic or a tap to fix it... otherwise off to a machine shop to have them chase the thread. I've seen it happen before. easy fix if you have the tool(s).

You didnt' have the shank and action threads aligned when you first tried to screw it on.... caused the first thread to roll...

Quote Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
    You've "rolled" the first thread in the reciever. You'll need a strong dental pic or a tap to fix it... otherwise off to a machine shop to have them chase the thread. I've seen it happen before. easy fix if you have the tool(s).

You didnt' have the shank and action threads aligned when you first tried to screw it on.... caused the first thread to roll...
    Sounds about right. Rather than pay a smith or machine shop, order your self something like this:

http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_359A.pdf

and then you'll have it for the future for less.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

goinssr
    If that receiver is clamped in an action wrench as you are trying to screw in the new barrel it is likely a bit too tight. Don't ask how I know that.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
    If that receiver is clamped in an action wrench as you are trying to screw in the new barrel it is likely a bit too tight. Don't ask how I know that.
    I actually found that out too. Should be all good now though.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

JCalhoun
    You're welcome.

mike4570
    I was installing a new barrel on my 110 action. I had cleaned and degresed the threads and had the same problem. Hit the threads with some Permatex Anti Sieze and it screwed right on by hand.

Basic Member
    Every aftermarket Savage drop in bbl Ive bought had to be hit w.sandpaper to knock the threads down then screwed right in.
    Even the bbl nut fit it perfectly, but would not screw in past 2 turns when I tried the bbl before knocking them down.

Basic Member
    I've only done one barrel. I did it under the watchful eye of the guy who does it a lot, for a living.

I was warned about clamping the action wrench down too tight and warping the action and I was warned about cross threading. Luckily I did the spin backwards till click thing before I tried to screw it in. Never had an issue with it even attempting to bind. Granted, it was a shilen barrel, and I've always considered them to be a top teir barrel... I have no experience with any of the other barrels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12