Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel install did I mess up?

tacticalpanda

Barrel install did I mess up?

So finally got everything to do my barrel install and change out my barrel. After watching a video online and reading I felt fine doing this. Used an action wrench and removed my old barrel. Now the problem is I can't get the new barrel on. It wont thread. I bought a Criterion barrel and I got it to thread once for about a quarter turn then got stuck and removed it. Now every time I try to thread it it just spins. Did i mess up my action? Bit frustrated now.

And even my stock barrel goes on a quarter turn then stops.

Also if it matters its a stevens 200 action small shank barrel/Northland Small shank recoil lug in 308.
    Last edited by tacticalpanda; 03-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.

poorbuthappy
    Are the threads in the action clean?

tacticalpanda
    Yea they had some blackish oil in them that I just wiped out.

Basic Member
    If it is an older Savage action you will more than likely need a new barrel nut. I know when I got my Criterion, I had to use a new barrel nut. The old one would do as you are describing.

tacticalpanda
    Its a new Stevens 200 action. Also bought Northlands barrel nut. The barrel won't screw into the action at all. I dont know if i'm doing something wrong or what. Seemed pretty easy to do when I was reading about it now I'm just frustrated.

How does they old barrel nut thread on the new barrel, I have run into this with a chrome moly action and a ss barrel.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Loosen your front scope base screws and see if that helps. sometimes the screw stick down into the threads a bit if they are long.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

tacticalpanda
    No base and now screws there. Working on posting a video to better describe what I mean.

tacticalpanda
    Sorry hope you don't get sea sick. Hard doing it with one hand. Hope this helps.

sorry made a better one

Last edited by tacticalpanda; 03-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.

goinssr
    If you got a large shank barrel trying to screw it into a small shank receiver may also cause this condition. The first thread or so on the barrel that have the start taper may go into the receiver but then stop as the diameter of the barrel would be too large to continue into the smaller action. Just a thought......

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
    If you got a large shank barrel trying to screw it into a small shank receiver may also cause this condition. The first thread or so on the barrel that have the start taper may go into the receiver but then stop as the diameter of the barrel would be too large to continue into the smaller action. Just a thought......
    I had this thought. But I know I asked for the small shank. Also just checked Northland and they don't have the large shank criterion .308 varmit barrel.

Look closely at your threads. May need a magnifying glass or something. Check to see if at the peak of the thread (check barrel and action) appears to have two peaks (for lack of a better way to put it).

I had a Savage Bolt body that when the BAS was screwing back in it gave similar results. With the BAS, it would thread in perfect one time, and then the next it would barely start, or not at all. Upon examining the female threads, it appeared to have two peaks to each thread. Sometimes it would go into one peak and stop, sometimes it hit the right one and worked great. Only reason for this I figure is the bolt body slipped slightly out of time in the chuck when it was being cut in the lathe at the factory. Possibly the same thing has happened with your action.

Just spit-balling ideas here.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 03-07-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: horrible spelling, my grade school teachers would be proud.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    Look closely at your threads. May need a magnifying glass or something. Check to see if at the peak of the thread (check barrel and action) appears to have two peaks (for lack of a better way to put it).

I had a Savage Bolt body that when the BAS was screwing back in it gave similar results. With the BAS, it would thread in perfect one time, and then the next it would barely start, or not at all. Upon examining the female threads, it appeared to have two peaks to each thread. Sometimes it would go into one peak and stop, sometimes it hit the right one and worked great. Only reason for this I figure is the bolt body slipped slightly out of time in the chuck when it was being cut in the lathe at the factory. Possibly the same thing has happened with your action.

Just spit-balling ideas here.
    Awesome will check that out. Sadly not magnifying glass. Another thing I noticed. Stevens has this little balls put into the threads. I was just removing move old barrel nut and all these sand like balls started to come out. Wondering if they are still caught in the action.

Very possible. I have not encountered those yet, but heard of others having issues with those "balls."

tacticalpanda
    Looking closer the barrel turns to this line seem on the left side of the picture. It seems to be getting stuck turning there. Any ideas?

I assume you mean the groove cut perpendictular to the threads when you say line?

I am still wondering about those "balls" you mentioned. If you think that could be it, try some aresol action/barrel cleaner and an old toothbrush and be sure they are all scrubbed out.

Does the old original barrel nut screw on and off. I know you said the new one did. Just spit balling thoughts and eliminating possibilities.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire View Post
    I assume you mean the groove cut perpendictular to the threads when you say line?

I am still wondering about those "balls" you mentioned. If you think that could be it, try some aresol action/barrel cleaner and an old toothbrush and be sure they are all scrubbed out.

Does the old original barrel nut screw on and off. I know you said the new one did. Just spit balling thoughts and eliminating possibilities.
    scrubber them all out and the threads look clear. Just used the original stevens barrel nut and went on to the new barrel fine.

This is getting frustrating, can't figure this out.

Basic Member
    could be that the threads are a little more "proud" or sharper than they need to be. Perhaps a light treatment with some fine grit sandpaper or steel wool could make it fit? If it were my barrel, I would probably try this, but proceed slowly and at your own discression if you do. Maybe a bad idea, but it's an idea....

JCalhoun
    You may need to take a small sharp pick and go through the threads to makes there is no hardened gunk in there. Clean with brake parks cleaner and wire brush. Wipe easily with toilet paper to see if you can detect any burrs. Burrs will sometimes cause the toilet paper to leave frays behind. Do the same to the threads on the barrel.

If the threads check out you should apply a thick lube like STP or gear oil to the barrel threads. Stainless steel will gall is no lube is used.

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    You may need to take a small sharp pick and go through the threads to makes there is no hardened gunk in there. Clean with brake parks cleaner and wire brush. Wipe easily with toilet paper to see if you can detect any burrs. Burrs will sometimes cause the toilet paper to leave frays behind. Do the same to the threads on the barrel.

If the threads check out you should apply a thick lube like STP or gear oil to the barrel threads. Stainless steel will gall is no lube is used.
    Will give this a go. Have the day off tomorrow may bring it to my local guns smith and pay him to do it. Getting to that point where I'm not feeling like a DIY'er

tacticalpanda
    Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    could be that the threads are a little more "proud" or sharper than they need to be. Perhaps a light treatment with some fine grit sandpaper or steel wool could make it fit? If it were my barrel, I would probably try this, but proceed slowly and at your own discression if you do. Maybe a bad idea, but it's an idea....
    Even the stock barrel I removed only screws in a quarter turn. I don't think its the threads.

JCalhoun
    Do the threads look stripped?

JCalhoun
    Where are you located?

tacticalpanda
    I'm located in Boston MA, Threads don't look stripped. Just ran a pick through it. Don't have any brake cleaner but everything appears smooth. ran the toliet paper over it and it seemed fine, Snagged alittle bit but at the groove in the picture.

Think I'm going to throw in the towel on this one. I'm stumped.

Did you try they chrome moly barrel nut, on the new barrel? I bet you it wont thread, when I order my custom barrels, I always specify it is going in to a chrome moly action, it makes a difference is has to do with thread pitch.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast