Thread: Dissassembly for duracoat job?

jordan

Dissassembly for duracoat job?

My question is do i have to remove the barrel and nut and duracoat them separate from the action? I feel like if i just painted over all of it, it would wind up glued together like painting over a screw would glue it in place.

Basic Member
    I am in the process of duracoating a barreled action. I just took the trigger group/safety assembly off in one piece and removed the bolt assembly. Mine is a blind mag staggerfeed sa, so I just took the follower out and left the metal body attached. I plan on taping off the bolt raceways and the breech area (probably use a little clay also) and the crown (probably the old foam earplug). The receiver, barrel nut, lug and barrel will all be shot as one piece at the same time, along with the trigger guard. I did, however remove the scope base (warne 20moa steel) from the top. I will be adding a little reducer to thin the duracoat when I shoot it. I will probably tape off the mating surfaces on the base bottom where it contacts the top of the action. I will be plugging the gas port and the scope base holes, and the trigger group pin holes, and action screw holes before shooting.
    I have removed duracoat with MEK with some rubbing and repeated application, so I think if you need to remove any from the barrel nut and barrel area you will be okay.

I have also seen ceracoat shot this way, FWIW.