Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget Stevens 200 build

Hey that is really coming together nice!

Does that money saver have the integral bedding bock?

Cant tell from the picture...

bennettk90
    Yeah, only thing that it doesnt have is the finish. They pretty much pull it out of the mold and there you go. Still had to clean the releasing agent off of it. Thats why I was willing to wait. They make the best savage stocks, for the money.

Basic Member
    Good to see you finally got your stock. My brother waited 31-weeks to get his Stockade stock and you're right in there too - Stockade should just tell people it will be an 8-month wait before you get your stock. JMHO

bennettk90
    Yeah, mine was ordered in february delivered december

TheTomcat
    Wow, very cool. Really nice job on the trigger guard and bolt knob. You could sell those!

I would just shorten the front screw.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

bennettk90
    Yeah. Grabbed some new screws from work and cut them to fit. All better. The action is all back to normal.

buxman66
    Cool good to hear it. What are you thinking for optics?

Eta: maybe shoulda asked what's the specifics on the Redfield.
    Last edited by buxman66; 01-22-2014 at 09:21 PM.

bennettk90
    Its a 4x12 accuranger varmint reticle. Really cool scope. Not really a target scope but I like the rangefinder capabilities

bennettk90
    ok guys. little issue. went to put my new barrel on and everything was looking good until setting head spacing. i used my go gauge to set spacing and then put a .004 shim on the bolt face (minus the ejector parts), everything ok until i tried to put my resized brass in to check everything, and not even close to closing. factory rounds are fine but the resized stuff is a no go. the thing that gets me is that i just shot off a few of my reloaded rounds through the factory barrel and they were fine, after switching barrels now they dont fit. is it because of the "match" barrel. I read that for new match chambers, it is not recommended using resized brass, only factory rounds. is it not working because they were first fired in the other barrel, and is formed to work in that specific chamber. or could it also be that i need a full resizing die instead of my lee hand loader that only neck sizes. i figured i would ask the knowledge of the forum before i call NSS.

Basic Member
    I had the same problem with reloads in my new McGowen. Someone recommended I start with virgin brass and all would be well. That was the trick. So, yes, you can probably shoot factory then reload them without a problem, or just get some virgin brass for your "reloads". Either way, reloading will be fine after that as long as they were fired in your chamber and not another first.

bennettk90
    Thanks. I figured that was the problem.

bennettk90
    ok guys, another hiccup. i went to put the centerfeed internal mag into my stockade stock and it has no cut out for the L clip that holds the magazine? any thoughts.

maybe a dremil....haha

thomae
    Some of the Savage stocks don't have the cutout. When I bed a stock, I make the clip flush and have not had any issues. It "should" work either way, but if the tolerances are "on the edge" then it might not work. I'd try it the way it is, and if it shoots bugholes and functions properly, then Bob's your uncle and you are good to go!

bennettk90
    I put it in without the clip and it wont sit all the way down it keeps springing up a little. Should I make a small square cutout for the clip. As of right now the top arm sits on top of the bedding area, stopping the action from sitting flush
    Last edited by bennettk90; 02-16-2014 at 11:40 AM.

bennettk90
    Probably just dremil out the spot for the clip to sit
    just gathering info from the forum before i modify
    Last edited by bennettk90; 02-16-2014 at 02:32 PM.

bennettk90
    Ok and now I feel stupid. I tried to put it in again and noticed that I hadn't pushed the small front lip past the edge of the pocket. Once I pushed a little harder and it slipped past the edge the mag held, and cycles fine. Didn't need the clip.

bennettk90
    First pic is the action in the homemade action wrench. All I used to disassemble the barrel and action was the wheeler wrench and the action wrench, worked out just fine. I didn't use a torque wrench but i used my "old school" one grunt calibration which is usually too tight so, I'm pretty sure I got it solid. As you can see I used thread ease on the barrel and nut. Freakin barrel is SOLID, it is heavy but really not too bad aiming offhand. I also use my old school m1 sling loop method so I get some stability.
    well here are some pics.

bennettk90

Looking good mate... Reckon you'll get tired if you carry that thing too far!!

Just sold my own 22-250 project and looking to start a new one...

That trigger guard looks great, well done.

bennettk90
    Looks like its finally getting nice enough outside to do some painting. Gonna order some alumahyde2 and give it a go.

bennettk90

finally

nice enough out to paint

bennettk90
    made a small paint booth out of pvc pipe and plastic lay down sheet. used a small computer fan and some dryer duct for the exhaust. works like a charm

I bought a Criterion barrel as well , 26" long, weighed 6 pounds in a 7mm08. This is what i did. Had it cut down to 22" and fluted. Now it weighs 3.4 pounds. Much easier to carry.

[IMG]
    Last edited by mousemotors; 05-09-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    GLC

ewwestsr
    Wow!! I have a Stevens 200 and would like t see how you mounted the Bipod, if you wouldn't mind.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast