Thread: Floating the tang on a 110 in a MCM

Bark

Floating the tang on a 110 in a MCM

Would appreciate all info concerning floating the tang area on my 110 in an older M40A1 stock.The tang nestles snug in the stock and when I asked my buddy that did the bed about floating the tang the reply was that he didn't feel it was necessary.This is my first Savage and have been absorbing volumes of info,mostly here,and recall reading an older thread with a breif reference to the tang area.Is it advisable/critical to relieve this area? What procedure would be recomended and approx. how much clearence between stock and steel?.All information as to how this float specificly applies to the Savage action if that is the case would be very interesting to me.I've been stuck in"Greenland" for many years and this old junkyard dog Savage has me wondering why all the hard-earned was spent to bring the Remmys up to where the 110 starts accuracy wise.Good to be in the nut house now. Thanks, Old Grumpy Bark

Basic Member

Re: Floating the tang on a 110 in a MCM

Bark,

I think it's important to make sure the tang is free floated otherwise there might be some stress (bending) on the receiver when the action screws are tightened. Some guns mights shoot fine with the tang touching the stock. And some people even bed the tang like you would a Rem 700. But in my opinion why take any chances? It's much easier to eliminate that variable by free floating the tang.

Procedure? I guess it depends on the stock material, and the tools you have at hand. I have used files and sandpaper. A dremel would be faster. But I personally avoid using a dremel because I tend to mess things up that way. For someone more skilled a dremel probably would be fine. Clearance? If you can slide a business card between stock and metal, it should be suficient.

Re: Floating the tang on a 110 in a MCM

I wouldn't mess with it unless you are trying to fix something. How does it shoot?

If you are having accuracy problems, that might be a place I'd focus on. But, if it shoots well, I'd just leave it.

I've heard that they can shoot just as good with the tang bedded. It's just more common to have them shoot good with them floated.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar