Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recoil help options questions

there are reduced recoil loads in every reloading manual
    10gr unique or trailboss with a 180gr projectile comes to mind
    there are aslo reduced loads with h4895

stuffing a smaller projectile -in a necked down case does not make it superior to the original case -cartidge
    especially in the case of the 308win- but it sure does sell more product........
    if 260rem is superior
    then 243 is even more so
    or maybe less.
    depending on how you anylize the ballistic coeficent -energy-velocity-data
    & what your trying to achieve with the given caliber
    you can load the 308 for everything from the smallest varmit to moose-
    you can even shoot .224 sabot projectiles in it
    if you reload -no reason to change anything.
    if you dont & your looking for less recoil
    .243win is my choice of necked down 308's
    much easier to find ammo for than 260rem if ya dont reload

brasse
    I have a bad shoulder. I can't shoot a stock Savage 308 like what you have.. I have been able to shoot the Savage 308 that has the "tank" like muzzle break, not the twisted holes break. But the break needs to be threaded on and the machining and break would easily add $100-150. get a nice laminated stock for $175 from Boyds or Stockys.

If you like the rifle and the scope, do what I did, add a Stocks Varmit thumbhole laminated stock. My Creedmoor has a DBM, but they come both ways, blind center feed and DMB.

Check out my thread here
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ghlight=brasse

The extra two pounds of the laminate stock and the much better butt pad totally changes the recoil from almost too much to something I could shoot a hundred rounds a day out of. Of course I can't buy 5 boxes of ammo, and I know 308 is actually harder to find than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

My rifle weighed 7.4 pounds stock, and 9.7 with the heavier stock and heavier scope. Quite a bit lighter than those tanks that weigh 17 pounds.

Newguyjosh
    Brase,

Did you have the standard sporter barrel? I like the look of that stock but it says it is for varmint barrels. Will it still fit right? How much recoil reduction do you think I get from just that? Do I need to get a heavier barrel and or break also or is the stock enough to make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    I have a bad shoulder. I can't shoot a stock Savage 308 like what you have.. I have been able to shoot the Savage 308 that has the "tank" like muzzle break, not the twisted holes break. But the break needs to be threaded on and the machining and break would easily add $100-150. get a nice laminated stock for $175 from Boyds or Stockys.

If you like the rifle and the scope, do what I did, add a Stocks Varmit thumbhole laminated stock. My Creedmoor has a DBM, but they come both ways, blind center feed and DMB.

Check out my thread here
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ghlight=brasse

The extra two pounds of the laminate stock and the much better butt pad totally changes the recoil from almost too much to something I could shoot a hundred rounds a day out of. Of course I can't buy 5 boxes of ammo, and I know 308 is actually harder to find than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

My rifle weighed 7.4 pounds stock, and 9.7 with the heavier stock and heavier scope. Quite a bit lighter than those tanks that weigh 17 pounds.

Jason8691
    Quote Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
    No, but I'm not 90 years old either... People get silly about how much guns weigh. Kids carry 20 pounds in their backpack all day, how much do infantry pack around? Lets be real, work out more and the extra pounds won't be such an issue.
    M4 with a magazine and all the sexy attachments they like to hang on them runs 8+ lbs. 200+ rounds of ammo, magazines, water, body armor with plates, camelbak, assorted other attachments, around 50 lbs. So yeah just a 17 lb rifle is not much at all if you're just going from your truck to a bench.

Basic Member
    Do you have some sort of budget? Brakes can get pretty expensive relatively speaking. What kind of shooting will you be doing?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12