Thread: Removing and Replacing the bolt assembly screw

Removing and Replacing the bolt assembly screw

The first time I disassembled my bolt I was able to get the bolt assembly screw loose using an Allen key with the bolt still in the receiver. When I reassembled the bolt I once again tightened the bolt assembly screw with the bolt in the receiver. At the time it was the best way I could get the proper leverage. Last month I noticed that the action seemed to be really smooth and loose. I then discovered that the bolt assembly screw was loose.. I was able to turn it with my fingers. I went ahead and tightened it back down and now it seems much stiffer then I remember it ever being.

Now for my questions:

1) Is it bad to tighten or loosen the assembly bolt screw with the bolt in the receiver?

2) Is it dangerous to shoot the rifle with a loose assembly bolt?

3) Do you think I need to loosen it just a tad? How tight should these be?

Thanks

Re: Removing and Replacing the bolt assembly screw

When I initially took my bolt apart using a large allen wrench, I removed the bolt from the receiver, wrapped it in a shop rag and placed it on the floor with the wrench in the bolt screw. I stepped on the wrench with my full weight before it finally broke loose with a loud crack! I thought I broke something it was so tight. After replacing the factory bolt handle, I used the same procedure to tighten the screw (but didn't put my full weight on the wrench).

I would recommend removing it from the receiver when tightening/loosening. I don't believe you can over tighten it to make the bolt stiff. Recheck everything in the assembly to insure all is correctly installed/lubed. Does the bolt operate as it should and fire a cartridge? Shooting while loose may not pose a danger because the bolt lugs contain the forces in the chamber but, you may end up with misfires due to light primer strike.
    All my bolts are a bit stiff upon opening as they have not had Fred at Sharp Shooters magic worked on the action/bolt.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I agree.

The screw need to be tight enough so that it does not come loose from firing.

I also don't think it's a good idea to shoot it loose.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Quickshot

Jimbo, Did you install a bot lift kit in the bolt? I thought I liked the idea of the kit but have been unable to remove the screw, afraid of breaking something and also reading about the other adjustments needed for proper action. Not just a drop in deal. Perhaps someone will enliighten us further. Quick

Jimbo, Did you install a bot lift kit in the bolt?
    No, I just took the bolt apart to learn how to do it. I had a second Savage at the time so I was able to use the other bolt as a reference. I did not touch the firing pin assembly except for removing it. My understanding is that part could be tricky to get it set correctly.

I tried putting the bolt on the floor but I could not get it to break loose, I then put it in the reciever which acted like a vice on the bolt.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo88mm
    I did not touch the firing pin assembly except for removing it. My understanding is that part could be tricky to get it set correctly.

Naw, its easy. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,22691.0.html

All your doing is setting the protrusion (adjustment nut) and adjusting the pin assembly length ( cocking piece) for the bolt you have. Once you see how it all works it takes about 5 minutes to set one up.

Bill