Thread: Long Range Precision

globalflyer

Long Range Precision

Hello fellow members,

Well, I did it! After many years of waiting and saving, I finally decided to step into the long range arena. I purchased a Savage model 12 LRP in 260 REM. I can't wait to get this knew tool in my gun cabinet! I followed the advice of my best friend, long time long ranger shooter, very knowledgeable individual, a Remington M700 fanatic who told me this. If you are looking for the most accurate out of the box 1000 yard rifle, knowing I was on a budget, look no further than the LRP.

If anyone wishes to comment on my choice, feel free to join the conversation. Also pet loads are welcomed. I kind of made up my mind on Lapua brass, CCI primers, H4350 powder and 142 SMK...

Globalflyer

ellobo
    You did good grasshopper.

El Lobo

globalflyer
    Thank you El Lobo

Basic Member
    The 260 was my caliber of choice as well.

I have all my parts here, but am awaiting cerakoting before final assembly.

Excellent choices on the components as well. What glass are you going to top it off with? I went with a Vortex PST 6-24x50 MIL/MIL FFP.

globalflyer
    Hello Capreppy,

Thanks for your feedback. As far as optics goes, being on a very tight budget I decided to mount a Bushnell Tactical 10x40 with Leupold (PRW/QRW)rings and bases. If money was not an issue, I would go with a US Optics fixed power. Figured I would learn the ropes of long range shooting first and save my pennies for a great scope when I become proficient.

Globalflyer
    Last edited by globalflyer; 03-06-2013 at 12:59 PM.

sendero72
    Long range will become an addiction! I started years ago when the Sendero only cost $650 and traded a shotgun for a Nightforce BR. Slowly modified over the years with a Jewell trigger and when the barrel burned out, I replaced it with a Hart #6 contour, 26" 7mag, 9 twist. The Nightforce is a 8-32x56. Reload with the 162 A-max. On a dead calm day it will shoot 6-8 in groups at 1100 yds. It's death on a deer for sure. You will find yourself always tinkering on something to improve on the accuracy......thus the addiction. Have fun!!

cpurick
    I'm jealous. Where did you find one?

globalflyer
    Hello CPURICK,

Got mine through Ellwood Epps in Southern Ontario.

Basic Member
    globalflyer, I have the same gun. Savage model 12 .260 LRP...Traded my 700 .260 for it a while back.Playing with the same components as well.Lapua brass,cci,Sierra 142`s along with some Nosler Partitions for hunting ...Good luck!

That1guy
    Be careful, next thing you know, itll look like this:

Theyre great guns, Savage should have put the accurate mag set up in them, and used a Varmit contour.. that would have been perfect.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Basic Member
    I got my LRP 260 last October. I have standardized on Lapua brass, CCI BR-2 primers, and H4350 powder. I have recently standardized on SMK 142 simply because I couldn't find any of the other high BC 6.5 bullets. I had bought and tested 100 packs of Barnes Matchburner 140s, A-MAX 140s, VLD 140s, and SMK 140s and 142s. I think the A-MAX 140s and VLD 140s performed best, but when push came to shove, all I could find in bulk were SMK142s. My standard load with the SMK142s is 42.8gr H4350 at 2.840" COL. I just shot my 1100th round with the rifle today.