Thread: PTG bolt heads...Problem

harv50

Question PTG bolt heads...Problem

Just got a .308 face bolt head and went to change it out but it won't go in...
    On the old head there is a notch at the rear of the head body and on the new PTG there is not so it won't go in all the way..
    Do we have to have a notch milled in it our self or is this a manufacture problem???
    I called them and got sent to voice mail then tried an email but have had no response..
    Any one else had this problem??
    Thanks in advance...Harv

stangfish
    Can you take a picture of the pieces and the issue? Thanks. The solutions will help eveyone.

Some of the older bolt bodies had a tenon on the inside and the bolt head would have a corresponding groove that the tenon would fit into. This was done so the monkeys at the factory wouldn't accidentally install the bolt-heads 180 degrees out (upside down). They have since trained their monkeys better and thus eliminated the tenon/groove fitment.

Sooo....basically the fix is to take your handy-dandy multi-purpose Savage Whatchamacallit Tool (aka a Dremel) and grind out the tenon on the inside of the bolt body so the new bolt head can slide in.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

BTW, might want to first check and make sure you're fancy new PT&G bolt head will actually fit into your action. Have seen/heard of a few now that were over-size and wouldn't start into the raceways.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

harv50
    Thanks... I really couldn't see any reason for the notch (except alignment, right/left action..and eject side R/L).
    And it does fit the raceway...So I'll get the aka dremel out and fix my problem...
    Thanks again...

iusmc2002
    It's a really easy fix harv. I changed an older 7mm Rem Mag rifle to a 338-06 and was in the same dilemma as you. No gunsmiths around my area could do anything for me because they weren't able to mill that little notch into the bolt head. I found MrFurious's solution on the web somewhere, and with a little trepidation, ground that tenon out. After 200 rounds, the bolt body and bolt head don't seem to have any issues and the rifle itself shoots great.

kuduman

PTG bolt head too long...

Just got my PTG bolt head (LH, LA, .308) after a two month wait. Very well machined. Except... the lugs are 60 thousands too long front to back. So it won't close.

IIRC, .560 vs. the correct .500.

I'm new at this: Can I correct this by screwing the barrel out, and re-headspacing? Or do I need to return the head to PTG?
    Last edited by kuduman; 03-16-2013 at 01:21 PM.

LRJammer
    Quote Originally Posted by kuduman View Post
    Just got my PTG bolt head (LH, LA, .308) after a two month wait. Very well machined. Except... the lugs are 60 thousands too long front to back. So it won't close.

IIRC, .560 vs. the correct .500.

I'm new at this: Can I correct this by screwing the barrel out, and re-headspacing? Or do I need to return the head to PTG?
    Correct. You need to reset the headspacing.