Thread: Midwest guys What time of day works best for Coyotes?

Basic Member

Midwest guys What time of day works best for Coyotes?

I am looking for some help from the Midwest Coyote hunting guys. What time of day works best for you? Early morning; Mid day; just before dusk?

We have been out mostly mid afternoon to just before dusk. We see lots of scat, tracks, but no dogs as of yet. None of the coyotes have barked at us or made any indication that they have "made" our set. We just have not seen any dogs at all.
    We have one of us cover the backdoor, put the Foxpro out by the lead person and try to have the wind in our face or coming in from one of the sides. We have been setting up on the edge of marsh areas over looking small clearings and some fields with rolling hills.

Any suggestions, please.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

kslefty

Re: Midwest guys What time of day works best for Coyotes?

I have been out a few times this year with limited success at best. In years past I have hands down had my best luck between 10 and 1 o'clock. My theory is that the farmers have all fed their cattle and things have settled down and the yotes are catching a catnap after running all night. I find the closer I set up to them the better my chances, in other words if no coyotes after 3-5 minutes I never call one in. The wet weather this year has made for an abundance of tall grass/waterways, lots more cover for mice which around here is the coyotes mainstay, in other words an abundance of food makes for very few hungry coyotes.

Basic Member

As far as calling them in I have had the most responses between 8 am and noon, I have only shot 1 just before dark, it was at a water source and not at one of my usual spots, my best luck before 8 are when I hunt the dead pile at a local ranch, I walk in before light and hope they hang around eating long enough for it to get light enough for a shot.

mike

Rifleman4910

The bulk of mine have been between Sunrise and 9:00AM, this seems to be when they are moving the best.

Basic Member

spend as much time in the field as you can. try a decoy,howling,hand calls,electronic calls,misting just try to be diffrent than the rest. good luck 8) dd

Basic Member

+1 the last three posts!!!!

Three 44s

Constaneo

Not sure what your state laws are but I have always done the best before sunrise between 4:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. While it's still dark just before sunrise they seem to move best for me. Plus theres something about calling one in and taking aim on the eyes of a coyote at night.

WhitBri

Best time by far is a night, no lights allowed in iowa so snow cover and full moon works great. Triple my success over any time during the day.

Constaneo

Agreed Whitbri, we can use lights here in ohio and a spotlight mounted to my scope with a red filter works great, I can respect not using the lights though, that would present a whole new world of challenges.

Rifleman4910

I mentioned early morning as the best time for sniper shooting of coyotes. Got first one at about 7:00 am at 185 YRDS. the second one a half hour later, it was a 325+ shot. The reason for the + is it was out on the ice and no way was I going to venture out there. Saw a pair in the dark as I was setting up, and could barely see them in the scope. Passed on them.