Thread: This years Prairie Dog hunt booked

308law

This years Prairie Dog hunt booked

I just booked my buddy and I's prairie dog hunt for this summer. I think we are both already excited. He is bringing his 12 year old daughter this year, that should be interesting. He set up an AR-15 for her. I'm almost done loading ammo, which is early for me, usually down to the wire, last minute thing.

Sounds like a good time! What state do you hunt in?

Have fun, be safe.
    Gary

65impala
    Sounds good, where are you going?

seanhagerty
    Have a good time, Wishing you plenty of dogs and fair weather.

308law
    We are going to Southwest Kansas. This will be the third time we have hunted with this rancher. Sean,hopefully you can go next year, we would love to have you.

seanhagerty
    Next year, I would enjoy it. This year, I am buying a house.

Basic Member
    I hope it goes very well as in lots of p-dogs shot.
    I have already spent 435 rounds into them this month on a few ranches out here.
    Last year I ended up w/5482 rounds into p-dogs, was a slow year for me!

Basic Member
    Congrats and good luck 5sp! Wishing you and your friends and new shooter lots of prairie dogs and many good memories made.
    couple of savages

Basic Member
    Yept...got mine booked too....in fact just smacked one outta my neighbor's field today....

Makes about 8 'removed' from her field the past month or so...

Had to breakin my new Savage Predator 223....12/Bluedot w/53 V max....nice & quiet
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

308law
    Getting everything packed and getting the truck ready, we leave Friday morning when we both get home from work. I can't wait, I really need a vacation, LOL.

Basic Member
    Sounds to me like the first signs of the worst addiction I have ever had,been looking for 30 years and cannot find the cure.
    Ya'll hang on I'm gonna drive closer

JCalhoun
    We expect plenty of details when you get back.

Basic Member
    Awesome !!!!!

308law
    Well back from our trip, we had a great time. Prairie dog population are definitely down this year from the drought out there. We shot only about half the rounds we normally shoot this year. Pd's where really shy, most shots where en excess of 400 yards and the wind Saturday was 20 to 30 mph. 17 HMR and 223's were almost useless on Saturday. Sunday was better, wind only about 10 mph. We both still managed to shoot about 350 rounds each, and had a great time. I sure missed my 204 Ruger, I took the 22-250 instead this year because I had bullets to load for it. I don't like the muzzle blast of that 22-250 or the recoil. I like seeing my bullet hit on the 204 or the 223. We saw 2 mangy coyotes trying to get at pd's. We also say a set of new born mule deer twins with their mama, being from Missouri, where we have only whitetail, that was a real treat. I'm already planning for next year, can't wait.

Basic Member
    Way cool.

Nandy
    I read about you guys planing or booking these hunts and I always wonder how much is the cost of it? anyone that dont mind want to chime? Pm are fine for those of you too shy to share in open forum... thanks!

PS - I have always wanted to go in one but being in NC does not offer many options but since I have a 22-250 and a 223 build planned by the end of this year I might be able to plan one for next summer myself... thanks!

Basic Member
    cost will vary depending on where you go. some states require a license and some dont.
    some areas such as indian reservations require a fee to hunt. prairie dogs are very wide spread
    across the western states. many ranchers are glad to have them shot and dont charge a fee.
    time is the most important thing in my opinion. its a long way from the east to any good prairie
    dog areas. allow time for prospecting. get to an area and ask around has worked very well for me.
    who you choose to go with is very important. its best to go alone than with the wrong guy.
    dont let someone elses schedule dictate yours. sometimes a day or 2 can make the trip.
    you will have good guns to take along. id be loading heavier bullets in the 22x250 for the longer shots.
    i wouldnt personaly be going less than 50 gr on the 223. wind can be an issue. a bench is good but needs to
    be very light in my opinion also. its also a pita at times due to different angles on the shots. the very best in my opinion
    are good tripods such as the one by mcfadden machine in blairsville pa. called the shooting tripod. they have a website.
    its also on the heavy side and rather pricy. ive shot 338x378s off it to 1500 yds. so i can vouch for how well they work.

Nandy
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nandy View Post
    I read about you guys planing or booking these hunts and I always wonder how much is the cost of it? anyone that dont mind want to chime? Pm are fine for those of you too shy to share in open forum... thanks!
    I have only been Pdog hunting once, so not a lot of experiences to relate but more that happy to share.
    My brother, his oldest son and I drove from Northern Indiana to Fort Pierre, South Dakota and hunted the Fort Pierre National Grasslands(Public Land). We also camped there to keep down cost. Might be a little cheap!
    After researching the area we found a great spot that we hunted for two days, sunup to sunset. We probably did not kill hoards of Pdogs, but we did get in a lot of shooting and had a great time doing it. Shots probably ranged from 100 yds to 400 yds with variable winds, so anything in the larger 20 calibers, the 223 or 22-250 and even the 243 Win would be good choices for calibers. Anything else might be a little rough for all day shooting.
    We even had time to get in a little bass fishing on the property.
    As was stated above do allow time for reconnaissance and don't discount public lands, they can be very productive.
    All in all our cost per person was probably around $350.00 for four days and that included $35 for varmint license, $35 for 3-day fishing license, gate fee for the Badlands, motel room the last night to clean up, and of course the largest expense-gas.

If you go; no matter how you go, just have fun and be safe.

Gary