Thread: rcbs jr2 press (purchased used)

ycis

rcbs jr2 press (purchased used)

So ive been unsuccessful for the past 2 weeks to get ahold of anyone at RCBS for support...so i figure ill ask here.

I purchased a JR2 model single stage press and it appears to have come without the primer arm (not a big deal I thought, as i have a hand primer anyway)

my issue is that the shell holder doesnt really get "held" in the ram of the press at all...its like there is some part missing that would solidly attach the shell holder into the top of the ram. does the primer arm do this?

as it is now it just slides in and spins freely, and is in no way affixed to the ram...half the time it gets pulled out when I remove a shell because there is nothing to hold it in.

anyone have a jr model press and can tell me what part I may or may not be missing that would more securely attach the shell holder to the top of the ram before I whip out some tape

The part you are missing is the Clip Spring. It is RCBS part # 09111. You can get it directly from RCBS by calling 1-800-533-5000.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

ycis
    thank you sir!

phil evans

Thumbs Up

i used a rcbs jr II, from 1962-2011, then got a used rock chucker.
    the junior II is a fine press, very sturdy & compact.
    rcbs customer service is second to none.

Luckus
    ycis. Forget the snapring. Find an O ring and put it around the grove in the ram, that will hold the shellholder in place and let the shellholder center in your dies better. Use an O ring pick or small screwdriver to pull the Oring down when you change shellholders. The snapring puts alot of side pressure on your shellholder and case. Myself and many others use the Oring trick. Luckus

ycis
    finally got a response from RCBS and they said they would send out the snap ring to me at no charge...thats some impressive service no doubt!

may try the oring route if I dont care for the snap ring.

diesel
    my RCBS Jr is over 50 years old and still cranking 'em out. occasional wipe down and re lube. it's been set up on the up stroke all that time. that's my preference. lots of different dies, from 50 year old Herters to RCBS, with Lee, Redding, C-H and others.

ycis
    Thanks for all the input, the clip came in just fine and I can certainly see where its a pita and the Oring would work way better especially since i use the same case holder in my hand primer tool.

quick question...as im just delving into casting my own bullets.

Given the press I have, is there a setup or the like to turn this into a sizer/luber? or does that simply require a separate press dedicated to that function?

acemisser
    you need a completely different set up...

ycis
    I was afraid of that!

Any suggestions? I only ever plan on casting 9mm lead for personal use.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ycis View Post
    Given the press I have, is there a setup or the like to turn this into a sizer/luber? or does that simply require a separate press dedicated to that function?
    Yes. Lee makes a neat kit to do just that. It is out of stock (imagine that!) at Midway. Cost is less then $20.

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...nd-sizing-kit/
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...t-356-diameter
    JimF -- a pilgrim still <*{{{><
    "Preserve Game -- Use a Trained Dog"
    Waterproof, Louisiana

ycis
    ha, i like the storage bin on the top...but it appears to just be a sizer die? (not that I cant lube it up myself using old school techniques)...but i was curious if they made a setup that did both in one step vs buying a whole new press for the job.

thanks for the input! my kkm 9mm barrel has yet to arrive, so i have time to wait to get what I need before i start making cast bullets.