Thread: Thoughts On Scope

Thoughts On Scope

Now before a mod. jumps on this, this is a question for the experienced BR Shooters so I didn't put it in optics.

I am in the build process and am looking for thoughts and/or suggestions on the scope.
    What do you feel is better fixed or variable. Up to what power this is for 100-200 yard IBS score matches.Now I have 61 year old eyes that don't see or focus like they used to, so more is probably better.
    Would like to stay under $500. Unless I start selling some guns, but I doubt that will happen.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage
    Sightron SII 36x or a Weaver T36 in that price range

drybean

There is a nice weaver 36X for sale in the classifieds.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

JCalhoun
    The Weaver T36 is well though of.

redlabel
    Weaver has a $75 rebate on t series scopes until the end of march

82boy
    As far as your question goes, I find that varible power scope work better out to longer distances such as 600 to 1000 yards. The reason why I say this is at longer ranges you are magnifing everything between the gun and the targetso mirrage can get far worse, you can dial some of this out. It is easier to get on target as you can back the power off and get a wider field of view, and see a bigger area where your splashes are at. Now the disadvantages of varible power scope, they are much heavier then staright power scopes. As you turn the power up on varible power scope you loose light, and have a shorter eye relief. The other downflaw is good varible power scopes are expensive. With a $500 price cap, you are out of range of all the good scopes. (Nightforce, Sightron.)

Now with all that said for 100-200 yard benchrest shooting I perfer a straight power scope. One with the NBRSA/IBS rules of weight it is much easier to make a 10.5 weight. If you look around most people are either using Weaver T36, or sightron 36 power scopes, the other half will be using 45 power lepolds, or 50 power march scopes. If you wanting to stay under $500 then latter scopes are out of your price range. With all of this your best option is to get a weaver t 36 or a sightron 36. I prefer the T-36 and I own 4 of them. I use them for both 100-200 yard and 600 yard benchrest.

Now check your rules as most score matchs are hunter class and has a power limit of 6 power.

Now check your rules as most score matchs are hunter class and has a power limit of 6 power.

82 I don't follow this statement. There are 4-5 different classes in score matches and the "Hunter" class limits the weight of the gun and scope power,all others any power scope is allowed.
    FROGGY

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post

82 I don't follow this statement. There are 4-5 different classes in score matches and the "Hunter" class limits the weight of the gun and scope power,all others any power scope is allowed.
    As I said check the rules for where you are shooting. Most score matchs are Hunterclass. Yes they do shoot Varmint for score with the same rules as Light and hevay varmint class used in group shooting. The is a sporter class wich is hardly heard of, and I have never see then shoot unlimited (Or rail guns in score.) So with that said hunterclass is popular in score shooting with it limitataions, of a 6 power scope, a 2 1/2 wide forarm, a case capisity of a 30/30, and weight of 10 lbs. Just check the rules.

Heavy varment, light varment, VfS, sporter, semi custom,factory, no limitations on scope.Hunter class nothing higher than 6x or over 10lbs.
    This new build will never make the 10lb. limit and I wouldn't even try. Details of the build are in another thread.
    I already use a 8-25 on one rifle and a 8.5-32 on another,also have used a 20x on a few,but my main question I guess is, are the higher fixed or variables better for 100-200 yard score matches.
    FROGGY

redlabel
    I have two weaver t36 and a third on its way and I like them alot. where I shoot 200 yd most people use t36 or sightron 36 with a few leupold 45 and tasco 36

A 45x Leupold now that's happening, you not only see the varmint you can give him a proctorial exam, Cool

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.