Thread: Interest in drop in trigger return spring?

only1asterisk

Interest in drop in trigger return spring?

Would this be worth the effort? Would people pay $5 post paid?

Basic Member
    Not me. I did the spring conversion by screwing a 1/2" 10-32 screw ( 15 in a pack for $0.95) up from the bottom of the spring hole, then substituting a shortened spring from a Parker G3 pen (2 for $2.49 at Walmart), which slips right over the screw. Perfect 2.5# trigger, and I had a good-writing pen left over! I have done this on my 2 Axis rifles and 4 owned by other folks.

only1asterisk
    How much is your time worth?

The time it would take to find the two items at Wal Mart is worth $5 to me. Hell, avoiding a trip to walmart alone is worth it.

Please familiarize yourself with our rules, particularly the second paragraph of this one:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Vendors-Rules
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

only1asterisk
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Please familiarize yourself with our rules, particularly the second paragraph of this one:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Vendors-Rules
    I've read the rules. I'm not looking to sell anything at this time. I'm trying to get to get an idea of interest level and feasibilty.
    Since a trip to Home Depot or Walmart is all that is reguires to replace the spring and $5 of material could do 10+ triggers, a drop in replacement spring has some limits to it's appeal, esp. considering the cost of winding a more complicated spring.

I'm not looking at making lots of money but I don't want to loose any. If using the forum to get input regarding prospective products or services is something you will not permit, I have no quarrel. I appreciate the forum and recognize the right of the owner(s) to run it as they see fit.

Understandable, but assuming you do that would make you a hobbiest seller which as the rules clearly state we do not permit here. And by simply wanting to gauge the interest here you're going to have people replying or sending you PM's asking how much, can they buy one now, etc. which in turn makes us have to step in and slap them on the wrist with an infraction for soliciting sales outside the classifieds because they can't seem to help themselves - they're hopelessly addicted to anything cheap and/or new or different.

We (the staff) are currently trying to come up with a way to accommodate such products in the future, but it's a slippery slope in terms of where do we draw the line?

- How do we define who's a hobbiest and who's a business?
    - At what point does a hobbiest become a legit business?
    - Should we limit they types of products we allow or impose a maximum price limit in an attempt to protect our members from fraud or dead-beat sellers by limiting their potential for loss?
    - How are we to know if the products being offered by shade-tree gunsmiths are of decent quality, and more importantly that they are safe?

And I can tell you right now - if/when we do come up with a viable solution to allow hobbiest products to be sold here on the site, no trigger parts or components will be permitted solely due to liability reasons because I know full well none of these hobbiests are going to run out and buy product liability insurance.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

seanmurphy265
    How about an R&D forum?

lockwoodjohn

Trigger parts

If you start selling trigger parts, Springs or what ever If anything happens to the rifle the person installed your part into could it come back
    on the seller? I would want to find that out. I don't think " Install at your own risk would fly in this case"

Lockwoodjohn
    Last edited by lockwoodjohn; 03-05-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Did not see above post

Basic Member
    If you want to make and sell gun parts you need an FFL.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by lockwoodjohn View Post
    If you start selling trigger parts, Springs or what ever If anything happens to the rifle the person installed your part into could it come back
    on the seller? I would want to find that out. I don't think " Install at your own risk would fly in this case"

Lockwoodjohn
    Exactly my point when I referenced product liability insurance a few posts ago. Even if you have a disclaimer that says "Use at own risk" or "User assumes all risk and responsibility associated with this product" it doesn't mean squat in a court of law. A civil suit could easily be filed claiming that the design of the product is inherently defective or unsafe, and if it's actually proven that's the case you could quickly find yourself facing similar suits from every other person you sold that product to (everyone wants their piece of the pie after all).

This is exactly why we haven't allowed home grown "shade tree" gunsmith products to be sold on this site. Not only does this policy protect the buyers from products of unknown quality and/or safety, but it also protects the would be sellers from possibly getting themselves into a financial nightmare situation they never would have imagined. If they want to make and sell products they can do it the right way and start a business, be licensed and have liability insurance the same as any other business out there.

cerich
    so reading the mod response to this (and not disagreeing with the premise per say) is it safe to assume the mods read our PM's to see if there should be any wrist slapping going on?

Nope, even I don't have access to people's PM's without going into the raw SQL database and we can't moderate what we can't see. However, with that said if we do find out someone is violating our rule and dirty-dealing behind our backs on the site via PM's they will be banned immediately and permanently. And believe me, if you do enough dirty dealing someone will eventually mention it in the open forum by recommending it to someone else. It's happened before and it will ultimately happen again as there's always one or two out there who think they're smarter than the system and/or they don't have to abide by the rules.

cerich
    thanks for the clarification.