Thread: Machine a single shot action to accept a magazine?

davemuzz

Machine a single shot action to accept a magazine?

I've peeked at the FAQ's first, and haven't found my answer there.

I have built a very nice shootin Savage on a single shot Model 12 action. So, my question is....is it possible to send my action back to Savage and have them machine my existing action to accept their new centerfeed magazines?

Or, would this be to cost prohibited?

Thanks for you input.

Dave

Re: Machine a single shot action to accept a magazine?

You'd be money ahead (way ahead) by just trading someone. I'd bet you could find a person willing to trade for your single shot action fairly quick.

Uncle Jack

Just curious.....why would you want a center feed?

uj

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    ... I'd bet you could find a person willing to trade for your single shot action fairly quick.
    ...Put me down for that trade...lol.. ;D...I even have a VLP Center feed stock to trade if you have a VLP for that S/S..

stevec

I would be willing to trade also!

Steve

82boy

IMO that would be a BIG mistake, People will pay a premium for a single shot action, and you would find many people that would trade you.

I doubt Savage would do the machine work, but there is gunsmiths out there that would. I have seen a 110 action that SSS machined from a staggered feed magazine to a center feed magazine.

davemuzz

I probably mis-stated (Uh-Oh....sounding like a politician now!!! :P ) when I said center feed. I'm assuming detachable box magazines are center feeds......but then, being the owner of a Winchester Model 88 for 30+ years that has a detachable staggered feed box mag.....I don't know why I would assume that.

But I guess I'm looking at it like this: I already own it, the set up shoots incredibly well, and if the cost were "reasonable" why not go to a magazine feed?

Besides, how much is the dollar difference between my M-12 single shot and say any Model with a mag feed?[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/DSC00610.jpg[/img]

Dave

82boy

Yes a detachable magazine would be easier to do with a center feed action.

I am willing to bet you would have some cash wrapped up in cutting the box out of the receiver. at least $20 to $50 bucks if not $100 bucks. Then on top of that you would need the parts such as a magazine box, follower, if you wanted a Detachable magazine you would also have bottom metal cost, and cost to inlet the stock for it. You are still money ahead to sell your action, and/or gun and get something already set up.

I am willing to bet there is many people on the board that would trade you actions, and ever pay shipping and/or a bit of cash for the difference.

LawmanSales

I have considered having a solid bottomed Target action cut open. I wanted to have a right bolt left ejection port solid top action to use with the CDI bottom metal and AI magazines.