Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 10 FCP HS Precision 308 help

As I suspected.... so - you might want to consider what bullet you want to shoot, and at what seating depth. Make up that "dummy" round and take it to your fav. smith and have him lengthen the leade for it.

Alternatively, you could also roll-your-own and set the seating die to give you the desired length. I'm sure handloading will be way better than buying factory loads, but you will figure out what works best for you.

Just a suggestion.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post
    As I suspected.... so - you might want to consider what bullet you want to shoot, and at what seating depth. Make up that "dummy" round and take it to your fav. smith and have him lengthen the leade for it.

Alternatively, you could also roll-your-own and set the seating die to give you the desired length. I'm sure handloading will be way better than buying factory loads, but you will figure out what works best for you.

Just a suggestion.
    you dont think i should send it back to Savage to correct?

stangfish
    I would at least call them with your data.

bodywerks
    The problem with just accepting the short amount of freebore is less than optimal seating depths when/if you do reload. The draper the bullet is seated the less optimal the conditions for allowing the rapidly expanding gases to get the bullet moving. Not to mention that many of the lighter bullets use enough powder that the load is composed. If you have to seat the bullet deeper just to clear the lands the load will be increasingly compressed.
    At the very last contact savage and tell them what's going on.

Basic Member
    I have done more measuring to be sure all my data is good when i call savage. I measured all the shot brass to be sure it is consistent and I had different readings with headspace comp with the Federal. I noticed a ridge around the firing pin holes on the GMM primers that were giving me inconsistent readings. I have removed the primers and remeasured everything. The hornady headspace readings on unfired gmm was 1.621 and on my fired brass the reading is 1.6235, it grew during firing .0025. < I havent been able to tell what these measurements mean, there is no instruction with the hornady headspace kit. Also after remeasuring I now think the GMM will be about .017 into the lands with a coal of 2.800

thanks for all the advise, you guys have been great
    volt

bodywerks
    Weird double post...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12