Thread: Vortex Viper and Vortex tacticle ring height

Vortex Viper and Vortex tacticle ring height

I've got a savage action with an EGW 0 moa base.

I am going to order a Standard Viper with the 44mm objective this week. I'm looking at the Vortex tactical rings (the 6 screw ~$20 ones). Will the low rings work or should I go medium? What if I go with a 50mm objective?

Thanks

Sorry I can't help you with ring height question, but I could not help myself in noticing your avatar, I am also a M1 Garand worshiper mine is a 1943 made by Springfield, man I tell you that thing is rock solid, sub moa never jams classic lines that will never go out of style, if this gun was a woman it would be a Cougar, seriously if you look at all this rifle can do for they age that it is, I really don't think we have come as far as we think we have, think about it, although I am probably preaching to the choir.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

:)

Mine is a 1944 Springfield. Very rare for mine not to tag along on a range trip regardless of what else I'm bringing.

My buddy has one made by Massey Ferguson, I make fun of him and his rifle all the time, I shouldn't because it's a great classic rifle, no matter who made it, and there was at least a half dozen MFG who made them, but hey poking fun at my buddies is one of life's simple pleasures.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Since I hijacked your thread, I figured the least I could do is look in to this, and this is what I found, I would go with the med ones at a min
    for the 44mm and highs with the 50mm, the 44 is really 52mm and the 50 is really 58mm and as far as I can see "pardon the pun" you will not have a lot of daylight between the bell and the barrel, my crossfires have a 50mm AO but are actually 66mm.

Dean

What's the thickness/height of the EGW base?
    What's the O.D. of the objective bell on the Viper scope?
    What are the heights (to centerline of ring) of the different ring heights?

All should be available from the manufacturer, then it's just a matter of simple addition and subtraction to see which height you need.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

"This Vortex Tactical Ring positions the center of the riflescope tube at a height of 0.97 inches (24.6 mm) from the base.
    Sold one ring per package."

That is a peculiar way of measuring rings, why just not say how high the base is,

Dean

Basic Member
    I have the viper vortex with 50mm on a 20moa egw with Burris tactical medium rings. I am sure mediums would do it. I almost think I could get away with lows due to the thickness of the base.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    What's the thickness/height of the EGW base?
    What's the O.D. of the objective bell on the Viper scope?
    What are the heights (to centerline of ring) of the different ring heights?

All should be available from the manufacturer, then it's just a matter of simple addition and subtraction to see which height you need.
    Understood.. I just wanted to see if someone actually had that setup around here...

I measured the egw base with my dial calipers which gave me a height of .292 inches.
    Low vortex rings are listed as .83 inches from center of scope.
    That gives me a total height from bottom of base to scope center of 1.122 inches (28.49mm).

Vortex says the O.D. of the objective bell is 2.03 inches (51.56mm)

So I'm guessing I need to take the OD, divide by 2 and then subtract that from the total height.

51.56/2 = 25.78mm
    28.49mm - 25.8mm = 2.71mm

If my math and logic are correct then this would cut it too close.. so it looks like I'm going with mediums.

Thanks

"If my math and logic are correct then this would cut it too close.. so it looks like I'm going with mediums"

Hey that's what I said. LOL

Tanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 02-26-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    "If my math and logic are correct then this would cut it too close.. so it looks like I'm going with mediums"

Hey that's what I said. LOL

Tanks Dean

I know, thanks :)