Thread: Anybody have experience with Prvi Partizan ammo

#1oneshot

Anybody have experience with Prvi Partizan ammo

Specifically 165 BTSP in .300 Win Mag. Any idea who makes the bullet they use? Is the brass good enough for quality reloads? Thanks, Bobby

Uncle Jack

Re: Anybody have experience with Prvi Partizan ammo

It's good ammunition.

uj

Eric in NC

No experience with it in 300 mag - used in it 7.65 Mauser, 7.62x54, 8mm Lebel, 375 H&H and a couple of others. Pretty decent ammo, some of the 375 wouldn't chamber easily.

I would say the brass is "ok" at best - slightly odd size primer pockets. Almost any 300 Mag brass you could buy would be better (Rem, Win, etc.).

wapaloose

I have in 22 Hornet, Bought 1000 and they shoot almost as good as my hand loads + excellent brass.

Basic Member

I just bought 100 unprimed new cases in 22-250 and noticed the difference in the primer pockets some are really tight.

Other than that after deburring and sizing and polishing seems ok.

I haven't tried it in .300WM either but have shot quite a bit of it in my 9.3x62, it's very accurate and the brass is good also. One lot I have has a green Lacquer primer sealant and is a little harder to deprime but I have not noticed overly tight primer pockets.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

brianinca

I bought 10 boxes of the Winchester "Metric" white box in 762x54R back about 98 or so when it was dirt cheap, like $7.98 a box. That 200 pieces of NNY brass has really worked pretty well for reloading purposes, certainly not like the scandanavian stuff but for the money really decent. The ammo itself was good 180 gr SP, would have taken a LOT of game very successfullyhad I been an Eastern European hunter. I recently saw some for >$16 a box, which is sadly a pretty good deal these days. Mosin-Nagants do respond to the ususal handloading optimizations, but in my case I'm still dealing with 50+ year old carbines so 3 MOA is pretty good.

Prvi has a GOOD rep amongst the milsurp crowd, maybe spendy but you get good loaded ammo and good brass out the other end.

Midway's running a special on their 223 75 gr match ammo right now, factoring in the decent brass it's not a bad deal considering the scary retail prices I see.

My comparison for brass is the Sellier and Bellot (recently purchased by Magtech). Their brass has the kind of grainy quality I associate with Federal, and they have weird bullets. I've never bothered to reload with that brass. I like Winchester brass and the Prvi reminds me of that.

Regards,
    Brian in CA

Stevemopa

I'm not looking to put anybody off of Privi but I had a really scary incident with their ammo this past summer. I was shooting a .243 that was my fathers deer rifle that I inherited after he passed away. It was a Ruger and in like new condition and I had removed the bolt and checked to make see the condition of the barrel, it was clear and clean. I fired 3 or 4 shots and felt the barrel, it was a little warm so I waited for it to cool down. I admit it was was like in the 90s that day so maybe that had something to do with what happened next but I loaded 3 more and shot the first two and then the third one was like KABOOM, much louder and much heavier recoil. I about shat myself but soon realized that the barrel was still there and nothing looked out of the ordinary so I tried to open the bolt to eject the case, no go. I had a small section of 2x4 in my truck and was able to bang the bolt open, the primer fell out before the case. I don't know if it was an overcharge or what but it blew the primer completely out of the case. I've never seen anything like that before. I stopped shooting of course and headed to the gunshop to talk to the smith. He checked out my rifles headspace and everything was in spec and I've shot it quite a bit since, although mostly with my handloads. Flukes happen with all manufacturers but I threw the rest of that ammo in the dumpster, just my 2 cents.

Steve