Thread: 260 Rem has me stumped

A10Warthog

260 Rem has me stumped

Bought a new Savage 10 Predator last week, bought some 120gr Federal Fusion rounds and also hand loaded some Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tips this morning. Finally made it to the range today. Sighted in with the 120gr Fusions, shot ok, 1'' groups.

Thought I'd try out my hand loads. WHOA. 7 inches high, 3 inches left. I thought "no way there is going to be that much difference". Weird thing, they were grouping 1/2 in or LESS. Shot INCREDIBLE.

I've never seen such a variation between loads. Is this normal? I adjusted my scope to shoot POA with the hand loads, as I will be primarily loading these and hunting with them.

Am I nuts?

Noslers were loaded at 2.800 per manual, 41gr Varget in brand new Rem brass using BR2 CCI primers.

Weird thing, they were grouping 1/2 in or LESS. Shot INCREDIBLE.
    LOL! I'll take "weird" any day if they shoot like that...bet you will too.

Don't know if it is "normal" but apparently it is for that rifle....some rifles seem to shoot a variety of loads at or near the same POI while others do not. I had an M1A that shot 175 Sierras really well and I loaded up some 120g bullets using a recommended load from the guys over at M14.com. They shot higher on the vertical plane but horizontal was about the same. My sons Savage 300WSM is the same way. Hand loads or factory show very little horizontal movement.

A10Warthog
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    LOL! I'll take "weird" any day if they shoot like that...bet you will too.

Don't know if it is "normal" but apparently it is for that rifle....some rifles seem to shoot a variety of loads at or near the same POI while others do not. I had an M1A that shot 175 Sierras really well and I loaded up some 120g bullets using a recommended load from the guys over at M14.com. They shot higher on the vertical plane but horizontal was about the same. My sons Savage 300WSM is the same way. Hand loads or factory show very little horizontal movement.
    Oh I am tickled fancy with the groups from my hand loads. I was just being optimistic that I could buy factory loads if I ever needed and they'd be *close* to my loads.

But no, I love this rifle. This is my 2nd Savage, our family owns several Remingtons and the like, I feel the Savages are the best bang for the buck these days.

Speedrat1
    I don't know about the 7" high part but I did notice working up a 7mm mag that had Savages light (for a mag) sporter weight barrel it tossed loads that differed in weight notably different places enough I remember it surprising me. Differences in velocity also threw them out some, left or right (don't remember) as well as elevation. Accuracy always stayed relatively the same. Guess it's a whip of the barrel thing.

seanhagerty
    I am amazed at the wide difference in POI.

Check barrel free float, action screws torqued, and tang free floats.

If the scope is known good, and the mounts and rings are tight, I got no clue.

Basic Member
    the difference is all in your bullet weight. if you shot the same wieght bullets you would see a much closer POI. velocity ranges with 20 gr difference in bullets tends to be quite a bit and accounts for the difference you are seeing.

and yes, you will notice savages becoming much more popular. they have set the bar for a factory rifle. in fact its tough to build something better. enjoy your rifle, sounds like you have an awesome handload worked up.

My groups in my axis 308 will shift about 5 - 7 " between 168 TTSX's and 180 anything else, otherwise the POI's are rarely more than a few inches off in similar weights and jumps off lands.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Check the point of impact next trip to the range. If it hasn't changed, breathe a sigh of relief.

If it changes for the same load, start your scope checklist - mounts, screws, rings, etc. If, again for the same load, you continue to shifts in POI, then look at your scope.

Good luck!

jb6.5
    I reload for several guns. Most of them shoots everything within a few inches. My 22 250 model 10 predator will shoot one hole at 100 yds, but my groups move alot with different powders and different bullets.