Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Dimensions

Bryverine

Magazine Dimensions

Hello,

I am looking at getting an axis 308 soon and I am looking at drawing the savage axis magazine in creo/solidworks/cad program in order to try and make a magazine on a 3d printer.

If anyone can upload a few pictures with a specified round in the magazine (I plan on using the round for scale) I'd really appreciate it.

Specifically: Front, top, side, rear.

Please, anything helps; I want to start to design the magazine so when I finally get the gun I can make final adjustments instead of having to start from scratch. If I can get the magazine to work, I'll try to design a 10 (or more) round magazine which should be much, much cheaper even after material (ABS/piano wire) than the 105 dollars or 85 dollars people want for them.

Thank you for any help.
    Last edited by Bryverine; 02-23-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Bryverine
    Here's what i envision if I can get it working. I figured out all the spring sizes and compression i need, now if i can get a more accurate size, i can run some simulations on stressing and fatigue.

Basic Member
    This is exactly what we are working on right now. I hope you beat me to it!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

cabinfever11
    VERY IMPRESSIVE, gentlemen.

palerider338
    What Cabinfever 11 said + more. Who said all the good engineers worked for NASA ????

Bryverine
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    This is exactly what we are working on right now. I hope you beat me to it!!

DK
    Could you send me some rough dimensions (or a front/back picture)? I'm kinda going only on pictures that I found through google and using photoshop measure tool to get an idea of sizes... I have yet to find a good front/back picture, so I have no idea how wide these things are right now which really limits how much I can do as far as stress analysis.

On a separate note, I've been doing some research on ABS and it looks like its a pretty durable material. As far as finite fatigue life though, I would love to talk more to you about anything you guys have figured out.

Thanks

rjmorel
    Thinking along these lines also except I want to make an adapter to sell that would allow AR-15 mags to work in the Axis chambered in .223 since we have both platforms and only 5 rd mags available for the axis. rj
    Last edited by rjmorel; 02-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.

rjmorel
    What kind of 3D printer do you have Bryverine. rj
    Last edited by rjmorel; 02-25-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Basic Member
    Here are some pictures for you to use. I will get you some more specific dimensions after work today. The next to last picture shows my prototype for the 204/223 magazine, and the last picture is the 270 magazine. I don't have any pictures with rounds in them for the 243/308.

DK

Bryverine
    Here are some pictures for you to use. I will get you some more specific dimensions after work today. The next to last picture shows my prototype for the 204/223 magazine, and the last picture is the 270 magazine. I don't have any pictures with rounds in them for the 243/308.

DK
    You know what's funny? Those are the exact photos I'm using for my modeling. Thank you guys for the help. I'll keep at it and see if i can run some fatigue simulation on it and post it here just for kicks.

Thanks

Basic Member
    I can tell you from your drawing, you will need to pay particular attention to the bolt relief area, as well as the cartridge relief areas. Also, in working with the factory Savage magazines, transitioning to your design, I would highly recommend accomodating the top loading ability to your design. That is a feature that has been a good selling point over the AI style magazines.

DK

There's a pretty big difference in the COAL accommodation between a typical AR 10/LR308 mag and the axis 308--the axis one allows for almost as long bullet seating as you wish to go, an AR one is going to be much closer to standard SAAMI specs, I would imagine.

Axis 308 mag (sorry my hand moved, but the measurement is pretty close)

Pmag 308
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Bryverine
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    There's a pretty big difference in the COAL accommodation between a typical AR 10/LR308 mag and the axis 308--the axis one allows for almost as long bullet seating as you wish to go, an AR one is going to be much closer to standard SAAMI specs, I would imagine.

Axis 308 mag (sorry my hand moved, but the measurement is pretty close)
    You rock, thanks so much, I'll update my model now! I'll post my model, stress analysis, and fatigue analysis sometime tomorrow.

As a side note, about how much room do I have to bulk up the two lips (no idea if there's a name for them) that hold the top bullet from jumping out of the mag? Is it a close fit like the green or a looser fit like the blue?

Sorry it's kinda crude, I just wanted a quick and easy illustration. In case you can't tell, that is the top of a magazine (black) with a bullet...
    Last edited by Bryverine; 02-26-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Basic Member
    Subscribed....

Intended for informational purposes only. Measurements may not be precise and do not take into account slight tapers.

[B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Bryverine
    Some quick analysis on what i have, i haven't had time to adjust the sizes to match the mag more accurate yet though.

Stresses:

Displacement:

Fatigue:

Basic Member
    I am not sure where you are getting the magazine profile from?? The magwell is a full width, front to back, not tappered as you have shown it to be. Double check the pictures that have been sent, and follow the floorplate profile.

DK

18. 02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
    Reason
    Sales solicitation outside of classifieds

Bryverine
    I am not sure where you are getting the magazine profile from?? The magwell is a full width, front to back, not tappered as you have shown it to be. Double check the pictures that have been sent, and follow the floorplate profile.

DK
    Does this look better? I took some creative liberties before I had some good pictures to work with. It seems better now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryverine View Post
    Does this look better?
    Considering the true profile of the factory magazine as a guide... absolutely!!

DK

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryverine View Post
    Some quick analysis on what i have, i haven't had time to adjust the sizes to match the mag more accurate yet though.
    From looking at the analysis values, everything looks good. The displacement area may be a problem though.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by dlaporta View Post
    Ratmag,

When might you have magazines available for sale for the Savage Axis in 30-06?

Thank you,

Dan
    I wondered how long it was going to take - and you all wonder why we end up having to close threads like this. It's called solicitation and it's not permitted outside the classified boards. If you people would stop trying to buy anything and everything someone makes and posts a photo of on here maybe, just maybe, they could complete their R&D work in peace and ultimately bring it to market through the appropriate channels - assuming they want to mass produce it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Bryverine
    Could anyone let me know if the inside of the gun where the mag goes looks more like the green part or the blue part?

Why not just go out and buy one? I'm still confused as to why you're hell-bend on doing this when you don't even own an Axis, and based on your requests you have no desire or intention of buying one.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Bryverine
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Why not just go out and buy one? I'm still confused as to why you're hell-bend on doing this when you don't even own an Axis, and based on your requests you have no desire or intention of buying one.
    I have every desire to buy one: I have a scope, case, bipod already picked out for it, but the funds are low. I don't have the money right now with two kids and a wife wanting to go on vacations three times a year. I just graduated from college less than a year ago so my salary isn't as good as it could be.

I want all this done so I can design a magazine and only have to make minor modifications when I get the gun in the near future. Creo (which I'm using to model) is kinda annoying as far as going back in the model 20 steps and changing something - the less I have to change, the better. I picked up this idea from a friend with a AR-15 who saw printable 30 round magazines and thought it would be a good idea for the gun I want.

Basic Member
    Grasshopper....you have many things to learn.
    Rule#1. You must have the rifle in your hot little hands first, before you can modify it. Matter of fact, several rifles would be better, they have manufacturing tolerances to deal with.

Rule #2. Building magazines on a computer and building them in the real world are 2 very different things. One of the most time consuming parts to a repeating rifle is getting the magazine to work reliably. The other most time consuming thing is to get the tooling to work flawlessly to produce them, that's why most firearm manufacturers actually farm out that work to specialty shops.

Rule #3. If you can't afford the firearm, how can you afford to shoot it, let alone try to create an expensive part with no experience and no start up capital?

I'm not trying to kick ya in the nuts here, I wish you the best, but it ain't as easy as you think. By the time you get it figured out, Savage will make yet another change.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast