Thread: Which 6.5 cartridge?

lomfs24

Which 6.5 cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    if I was to build a 6.5mm hunting rifle it would be either 6.5x55, 260 rem, 260 ai, 6.5wsm, 6.5-06 ai and 6.5-06 in that order. for target shooting 6.5x47 lapua
    This quote came from an older thread.

Sinman, I like the choices you have made in 6.5. I am thinking about putting a new barrel on a 10FCP and I was leaning towards 260 Rem in a fairly short heavy barrel.

May I ask why you would choose 6.5x47L over the others for target shooting? Of course I know I can't put all of these choices in a short action. But I can probably get a hold of a long action if needed or possibly a mauser action.

Basically what I am looking to put together is a rifle for long range. Yet I don't want a 30 lb bench gun. I want a rifle that I can hunt with yet be able to shoot consistently long range. The local range that I have to work with maxes out at 1125 yards unless I want to go for the targets that the 50 cal boys shoot at and lord only knows how far out they are. I will probably hunt with the rifle I put together too(I am not going to hunt or shoot animals at 1000 yrds). I have decided on a 6.5 of some sort due to the high BC's and high S/D's. So taking into consideration
    1. brass availability/selection
    2. ease to form brass from other cases
    3. availability of factory ammo.
    4. barrel life

What would be your top choice for a project like that?

The factory ammo thing is the least of my worries as I will reload for it. And if I get the chance to travel somewhere to hunt and forget to bring my ammo....well, then that that's my fault.

sinman

Re: Which 6.5 cartridge?

the 6.5x47l has a smaller case capacity and is really efficent. It is also a proven and accurate round. a 260 rem is a great round also and probably the cheapest to get into. The 6.5x55 is a pure classic and if you are going with a mauser how could you want any thing else?

Basic Member

I would recommend the 6.5x47L over the others. True you will get higher velocity out of the other choices, however, the gains are a few hundred ft per second more. You'll burn less powder and achieve similar results. Just my opinion though.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

My 6.5x47L is on the way!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]