Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA scopes?

soaxin

BSA scopes?

Came across a BSA scope the other day. I was curious if anyone has had one of these and what the quality is for being a cheap scope. Would it hold zero on a 22-250?

Basic Member
    its a hit and miss. I have used some that worked great and Ive also had one break under 25-06 recoil

soaxin
    For a 50 or so $ scope I'm not expecting much.

Basic Member
    not really the clarity on a bsa as much as it is the durability. Ive looked through some of them that are very clear

soaxin
    Clarity dosent bother me all too much it's durability I'm worried about.

I sent you a pm.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    then i wouldnt suggest a BSA

65impala
    Me neither. I played the cheap scope game for a while. Had a couple of the high magnification BSA scopes along with one of their spotting scopes. They all had poor optics and both scopes broke with less than 100 rounds of recoil. Some of their lower magnification models have pretty decent optics and would work OK on a rimfire, but that's about all I would use them for.

soaxin
    Yeah I'm looking for a highish magnification for my 22-250

Basic Member
    you can find a 6.5-20x50ao simmons whitetail classic on the cheap. Its tough, clear, and cheap
    Last edited by keeki; 02-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Basic Member
    and highish magnification

soaxin
    Yeah I'm looking for something cheap with good magnifications for 100-600 yards and with resettable turrets

65impala
    I hate to rain on your parade, but there is no such thing as good optics for cheap. The cheapest stuff that I will use cost about $200 and it's well worth it. I've probably had a dozen scopes over the years that cost below $150 and they taught me that you'll never regret the money spent on good glass.

Is this for target or hunting or.....?

Basic Member
    resettable turrets, high magnification, reliable and cheap? Aint gonna happen

soaxin
    It will be for target. Haha guess the gun is gonna sit around for a long time till I can afford some glass

65impala
    Been there, done that. I've also used borrowed optics for a while until I could afford something decent.

One really great option for a target rifle, as long as you are good with 10x magnification, is the bushnell elite 10x40 tactical model. They can be had for $199, have milradian reticle and milradian turrents with resettable zero and they are amazingly clear for the price. I use one on my rifle I just built as well as my target AR-15 and love the scope, great buy for the money. I'm a fan of 10x fixed power scopes myself, much easier to learn to estimate range via the reticle if you know you have the same power every time and for about 40 years the standard for military snipers was a 10x scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950...-reticle-matte

For an extra $100 there are a ton of SWFA SS scopes with power from 6x to 20x and 30mm tubes, hard to beat for the money....

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactic...pe-P53716.aspx

Again, not trying to be a downer, but I have on several occasions been really dissapointed and just plain mad over spending $80 on a scope that ended up in the dumpster....

soaxin
    Thank you all for the tips. Much appreciated.

65impala
    You're certainly welcome, just trying to pass along stuff I learnt the hard way

Basic Member
    Better Stay Away

I tried a BSA 36x44 target scope once because it seemed like a good deal, around $70.00 I think, a closeout on Natchez. I read all of the negative reviews on forums like this but I had to try it for myself. Optics were like looking through a coke bottle in part because of poor quality components and also due to short eye relief and very unforgiving eye positioning. Had it mounted on a model 12 BVSS in 223 Remington. Every time I shot the AO had to be refocused. It did hold a zero however. Sold it at a $10.00 net loss

I doubt that I will every try the brand again and caution friends and family about the brand too. If a guy was going to put a 4x fixed or low power variable BSA on a bolt action rimfire rifle maybe it would be ok.

BSA also sells several "better quality" scopes but I would be leary of those models too. You know the fool me once story right?

To their credit they do offer the same lifetime warranty that other importers of this level of chinese crap do, i.e. send it in with $10.00 and you will eventually get a new one back

If you need a cheap scope I suggest Centerpoint from Walmart. At least that way when you return it you will not have to ship it and you won't have to pay $10.00 to do so, as long as you have your receipt
    Last edited by Smokey262; 02-23-2013 at 12:05 PM.

I would only recommend BSA on rimfire (IE - very low recoil) rifles. I do happen to have a BSA (Sweet 22) on my Savage MKII 22LR. Works fine and since I don't shoot it more than 100 yards in broad daylight I am not particular about the optics. Otherwise, BSA is just too poor in all respects for anything more than that... just my opinion.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

soaxin
    I just need something good for 300 yards. I don't think 4-16 is enough magnification or is it?

soaxin
    Found a few scopes. How is Barska, ncstar, leatherwood, firefield, hawke, and mueller? All are around 8-32 power

I have a Millet 6-18x40 and it has treated me well, I have had BSA's in the past and theones I bought 10 years ago were decent. Held zero and about as clear as one would expect. But I have bought 2 different ones in the last 2 years and both were junk. Crosshairs broke loose of both of them. To me barska is about the same, but a tad better than BSA. Centerpoints at Wal-Mart seem to be ok. Some of my buddies have them. I have had great luck with my Osprey from Natchez. 10-40x50 and holds zero and pretty clear for the $$. I had gottena couple of Tru-glo's from Natchez, and the first two treated me really well. the last 2 i got both shook apart right out of the box. Less than 10 rounds each. Only good thing about those is Natchez will give you a full refund including shipping if they fail.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 02-24-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: bad spelling
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

n4ue
    Lots of good advice in this thread. My comments...............FWIW
    I have a lot of scopes, even 12 'spares'. I like to rotate them through the collection.
    The Center Point (4-16X40) from Wally World, is a pretty good scope for the $. Recently, I purchased a new, Nikon Monarch 4-16X40. I brought it and a couple of spares to work (all unmounted). I let some of my hunting pals check out a group of various targets at 70 yds. These are not expert target shooters (neither am I!!), The cost of each scope was not revealed until the test was over. Most guys thought the Nikon was less clear, etc than the CP.... After disclosing the price of the CP, guys kept picking it up and asking: " HOW much is this one??".
    The winner was a new Viper Vortex 6.5-20X50. I sent the Nikon back for a refund.
    One brand that I really like is the Milletts. I have 2 of the 6-25X56 (35 mm tube) on two of my best shooting rifles. I have also purchased several of the 4-16X56 SF Milletts and love 'em. No Milletts were used in the above 'test', they are all mounted.
    I also have Konus, Muller, Pentax....even a Barfska, er, Barska
    In the future, I will stick to Vipers and Milletts......

ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast