Thread: Scope mount woes

Orange_Crush

Scope mount woes

I went to mount the scope and rings on my new Savage model 25 today and discovered that the rings are too far apart for the scope. It looks to me like buying an EGW picatinny solid rail might be the best solution.

Any other ideas - besides buying a longer scope?

And now you know why I always use a 1 piece rail type base. Scopes keep getting shorter and shorter for some reason even though action lengths have been steady and consistent for more than a half-century. Go figure!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Orange_Crush
    That definitely seems to be the case - had the same problem trying to install the scope on my Model 12 - ordered an EGW one piece base for the model 12 and now a second one for the model 25.

I kept thinking someone was going to suggest stretching the scope.

n4ue
    I recently received a EGW one piece base. Very well made. One thing I noticed, is the bottom side where the name is stamped. The ridges around the letters were pronounced. I used some very fine wet/dry paper wrapped around a wooden rod to remove the high spots.
    Maybe too paranoid on my part, but easier to fix now, rather than later!

ron

davemuzz
    I find the EGW one piece bases just too easy to install up front. Then a dab of lock tight on 'em and they stay put forever. And that's a really long time!!!

make sure you check the front screws it's always too long
    I use weaver 1 piece

argie1891
    have you thought about buying a set of extension rings they might fix your problem and they are not all that costly. argie1891

seanhagerty
    I had this issue, it was only too far apart a little bit. I found that if I turned one of the mounts around so the groove was closer I could make it work.

Sean

Orange_Crush
    I solved my problem by purchasing an EGW one piece mount!

But that was really only half the problem - I am really disliking the Model 25.

mcho
    What is it that you do not like about the 25? Maybe someone here can help. Mark

Orange_Crush
    In reply to Mcho - actually I sent my model 25 back to Savage with a list of my complaints. And to their credit, they fixed everything I *****ed about. Which was failure to feed rounds from the magazine, hard bolt lift, poor accuracy.

It came back the gun I thought I was buying in the first place and I quite like it now.

I mentioned this in another post, but I am happy to mention it again :)