Thread: Anyone have a 243 Win Ackley Improved headspace "GO" gauge that I can buy/rent/loan ?

Westcliffe01

Anyone have a 243 Win Ackley Improved headspace "GO" gauge that I can buy/rent/loan ?

I have a Shilen 243 Win Ackley Improved barrel on its way to me. I have not found anywhere that has a head space gauge in stock, despite this not being an obscure chambering.

If someone on this board owns such a gauge and would be willing to sell, rent or loan it so that I can install my new barrel, it would be highly appreciated.

Please send a PM if you can help out. I'm located in SE Michigan.

Westcliffe, IIRC you use a no-go gauge as the go gauge and then add 1 or 2 pieces of scotch tape for the no-go.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    I have a Shilen 243 Win Ackley Improved barrel on its way to me. I have not found anywhere that has a head space gauge in stock, despite this not being an obscure chambering.

If someone on this board owns such a gauge and would be willing to sell, rent or loan it so that I can install my new barrel, it would be highly appreciated.

Please send a PM if you can help out. I'm located in SE Michigan.
    You can rent the gauges from 4D. http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayit...9&tname=rental

After setting the headspace I suggest using new 243 brass. DO NOT resize them. You want at least a .004" crush on the neck-shoulder junction for the fire forming.

Bill

Westcliffe01
    Well, after getting a negative response from both PTG and Forster I was not feeling so happy with life (these were requests for them to make me a gauge) I then happened upon http://www.mansonreamers.com/ Very interesting (they have a very basic website with a downloadable catalog and some instructions how to use their equipment).

I called them right after lunch time, and a lady picked up the phone immediately and confirmed that they had the 243 Win AI go gauge "in stock" and I could have one for $30. It also turns out that they are located in Grand Blanc MI, so postal delivery will just be a day or 2 for me.

So anyone else having hassles finding Ackley type gauges, call the good folks at Mansonreamers.com Now that I know this, I also know where to get chambering reamers, if that day ever arrives...

BillPA, why should I not use my once fired brass ? It is conformal to my old chamber so it should have less expansion to fit the Ackley chamber than new brass ? It is not as if I intend to keep my 9.25 twist barrel as a backup. I will probably advertise it locally since it has less than 100 rounds through it.

Basic Member
    BillPA, why should I not use my once fired brass ? It is conformal to my old chamber so it should have less expansion to fit the Ackley chamber than new brass ?
    Are you using formed improved or 243 Win brass? You didn't mention which in your original post.

So anyone else having hassles finding Ackley type gauges,
    If I can't find them I make'm

Bill

Westcliffe01
    I have just under 100 once fired 243 Win brass, fired in the regular 243 chamber in my model 12. My understanding is that you form the brass by firing it in the improved chamber. There would be a slight drop in velocity, but they should be accurate, so just live with it until one has worked through the initial batch of shells.

I also have another 200 brand new never fired shells and there is more work needed on those to trim them all to the same length, do the initial sizing operation, size the neck with my collet die and sort them by weight before I am ready to do any loading with them. I just can't see getting rid of my once fired brass just because I got a new chamber ?

Basic Member
    My understanding is that you form the brass by firing it in the improved chamber.

Yes, the hallmark of a true improved chamber is the ability to fire the parent without any changes. Cartridge head clearance, or the lack of it in this instance, is from the breach face to the neck-shoulder junction with a crush fit typically in the .004"-.006" range.

A few examples smoked to show how head clearance is established on the junction of the parents for firing/forming

L to R, the 22-250, 250 and two wildcats, the 270-08 and it's improved version. All three require unique length gauges.

Not knowing your experience with improved cartridges is why I suggested using virgin brass. Sometimes improved cartridges get a bad rap due the brass being used, split necks and etc, a result of work hardened brass. Go ahead and use your one fired brass. If you run into problems you may need to anneal it.

Bill

Basic Member
    Westcliffe01 I would only trim your necks to the your shortest case length, because you will loose neck length when you fireform in an improved chanber. The brass to make the larger shoulder mostly comes from the neck and it will get shorter after fireforming. Trust me I know. I have three .243 AI's.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

barthowes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Westcliffe, IIRC you use a no-go gauge as the go gauge and then add 1 or 2 pieces of scotch tape for the no-go.
    I missed this thread before, and I'm surprised no one commented on it. If I'm not mistaken if your only useing one guage it's the GO guage and and tape to it to make it a NO GO.. What he said would be setting your headspace dangerously long.

Basic Member
    And you're wrong also.....The Go gauge becomes the No-Go. The AI Go gauge is .004" shorter than a standard Go gauge.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Westcliffe01
    I'm guessing barthowes was referring to a "proper" AI "go" gauge, which is what I bought. And that is exactly what I did. Set it up so that the bolt closes on the "go" gauge and if I slip a single layer of paper behind it it would no longer close. I'm pretty sure that I followed the correct procedure. I was exceedingly reluctant to buy a "regular" 243 Win gauge, especially since all i own now is the 243AI.

barthowes
    yup that was exactly what i meant and you did everything spot on. Don't know how anyone implied i would use the wrong caliber gauge. I personally like to have both gauges but many people have had zero problems doing just as you described.

Berniep
    I have a set of 243 AI gauges on the brown truck right now. I wont need them for a while and would be happy to loan them when they get here If anyone else needs them.
    Let me know.
    Last edited by Berniep; 03-05-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berniep View Post
    I have a set of 243 AI gauges on the brown truck right now. I wont need them for a while and would be happy to loan them when they get here If anyone else needs them.
    Let me know.
    BernieP I might take you up on that...I have a new(er) 243AI barrel coming in soon but I might just buy a set if I can find one...

Westcliffe01
    mansonreamers.com They have them in stock for $30+shipping

Westcliffe01
    My Shilen is doing well. I loaded up 50 rounds with new Remington brass 95gr Berger VLD and 41gr 100V Hodgdon powder. Ran through an initial batch (about 20) at 100 yards, they group 1/2" in 3 shot groups. Yesterday fired some more (about 11) at 285 yards and experienced a 6" drop from 100 to 285 yards. Ran the numbers tonight in the G7 ballistic calculator and it back calculated the velocity as 3400fps... Holey smokes... Thats 200fps more than the same weight Superformance load from Hornady. And I am not even into AI load values yet. Ideally I would shoot at even longer range, but not without a shooters mat and a bipod. Yesterday was really "field conditions". Soaking wet from the ground and my jacket bunched up to form a rest for the fore end...

What twist is your barrel? I was shooting the 87 bergers through my AI. They shot well, (only group at long distance 800, was 6 in)but with all of the commotion can't find anymore, so bought some 105 and 95 to try, only problem now is finding powder
    12 LRP .204, 200 .243 project rifle. (action), 116 SS action, 200 270

Westcliffe01
    Mine is an 8 twist. Good for the 105's but supposedly not the 115's. The 115's are not much better in BC anyhow. The 105 target VLD's are terrific and will kill a song dog plenty dead.

Berniep
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTBEACH View Post
    BernieP I might take you up on that...I have a new(er) 243AI barrel coming in soon but I might just buy a set if I can find one...
    let me know if you need them.
    Sometimes it takes me a few days to get to the post office.