Thread: 1st rifle recommendations. 11VT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Wtlj

1st rifle recommendations. 11VT?

Hi guys this is my first post on the forum and I'm glad to have found it. I'm looking for my first rifle for target/coyote/varmint hunting. I went into dicks yesterday with every intention to buy the savage 111 trophy package with accutrigger, Nikon bdc scope, light barrel and regular black synthetic stock. While waiting for assistance I noticed a savage model I haven't seen before.
    It was labeled on dicks tag a model 11VT, I believe the barrel said model 11, accutrigger, heavy barrel looked to be a 24"-26", black beavertail stock (good float) with bottom dropout mag, bushnell 4-12x40 scope

I'm pretty new to rifles so any help would be appreciated on this model. Is it just a different model packaged together and called the 11VT for dicks? Is the stock and barrel used on any other models that I can research on. I'm looking to get a .223 and .308 will this be a nice rifle for my needs. I've looked all over including savages website and can't find this model or one like it.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Wtlj; 02-22-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Wtlj
    Well I just got off the phone with savage. The gun is a dicks only exclusive. Here's the specs:
    -24" heavy barrel
    -9:1 twist
    -accutrigger
    -black synthetic stock (not accustock)
    -4-12x40 bushnell scope
    $599

Still torn between the 2!

Wtlj
    Tough crowd huh! No advice?

stangfish
    Welcome Wtlj.

Most everyone shows up a little later around here. So knowing your needs, budget and primary intended use is helpful in making a decision. We even have a help me decide section were folks that like to get involved with that topic hang out.
    Here you go. http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...Help-Me-Decide
    Last edited by stangfish; 02-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Welcome Wtlj.

Most everyone shows up a little later around here. So knowing your needs, budget and primary intended use is helpful in making a decision. We even have a help me decide section were folks that like to get involved with that topic hang out.
    Here you go. http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...Help-Me-Decide
    Thanks for the help. If I start the same thread over there do I need to delete this one? Or can I just move the thread?

ellobo
    No need to delete, I think you can copy and paste to the "help me decide" section.

El Lobo

palerider338
    IMHO I'd go with the 223 for starters. Less wear and tear on your shoulder. Good round for what you want to use it for. Once you get your shooting skills polished you can move up to the heavier recoiling calibers.

I started with a Ruger 10/22...moved up to a Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62 x 39.....now into Savage bolt in 30-06.

Wtlj
    Thanks for the help. I just purchased a savage model 11 24" heavy barrel, accutrigger, synthetic stock. I'm really excited I have to wait 24 hours to pick it up per Illinois state laws.

Wtlj
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]