Thread: Model 11 Short Action, Seekins 20 Moa base, almost out of elevation adjustment?

JRSerm

Model 11 Short Action, Seekins 20 Moa base, almost out of elevation adjustment?

I put a Seekins 20 moa base with Seekins Medium rings on my new model 11 .308 build with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. To get the rifle zeroed at 100 yds I had to travel almost to the top of my elevation travel. I now only have 24 minutes of up left, so if I didn't have the base I would only have 4 minutes left! Does anyone else have this set up or similar?

I have a 7mm Long Range Hunter with an EGW 20moa base and the same scope. It is bottomed out nicely with only a small amount of downward adjustment left with a 200 yd zero. I had hoped that this set up would be similar but it is far from it. Seekins only makes 1 Savage base and it is this one. It is a "Savage 10 FP" model. Is there a difference in the action dimensions between the 10 and the 11 that I have that would cause this? The screws lined up perfect and I like that this base has a recoil lug. Any ideas or help would be great. I have thought about shimming and bedding the base but I would rather it just worked as it should.

Basic Member
    Sounds like you may have installed the base backwards.

JRSerm
    I originally wondered if it was backwards as well but with the recoil lug it only installs one way (lug in the front) so I know it is not on backwards. Thanks for the suggestion.

pitsnipe
    This might help:
    At the range the other day a good friend was trying to get his new Savage zero'ed at 100 yds to start working on some loads. But couldnt get it even close. Ran out of "up" in the scope. Not a cheap scope. And I believe he was using weaver rings but Im sure this "problem" could/would pertain to most any make. When the rings were removed it was found that the recoil "key" in the ring's sat at a different height when the key was flipped over (thus allowing/forcing that ring to sit higher). And as it turned out he had installed the rear ring with the key upside down (or at lease opposite from the front) and with the 20 MOA base he had installed already put about 50 MOA of cant into the scope. More than it could recover from for a 100 yd zero. Let alone the fact that the different height rings tourqued his scope pretty good. Flip over the key, reinstalled, and zero was established easily.
    Good luck.

Burris signature zee rings with 20 moa inserts is also an option to get you more elevation.

Basic Member
    There seems to be a lot of threads lately about running out of up even after putting 20 MOA bases on. I have also noticed it seems to be the Viper PST scopes. I have one viper which is not a PST and i almost ran out of down trying to get sighted in at 100 with a 20MOA base and have had no problems with any of my Sightron scopes. I would say there seems to be something going on with the PST scopes.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Use ur naked eyes. R u good in trigonometry?
    If yes, put a paper on the wall and make a small dot say 10 ft away from scope
    Then bore sight the barrel to this dot.
    Put, scope back to zero adjustment and where cross aims draw another dot.
    Now measure the distance between the dots. Measure distance between the center of the scope and middle of the barrel. To be continued