Thread: Cut Boyds featherweight thumbhole for new pad

brasse

Cut Boyds featherweight thumbhole for new pad

I cut my Boyds featherweight thumbhole exactly one half inch, then measured for a new pad.

The kick-Eez 112 pad fits perfectly!

brasse
    Photos show the Boyds pad next to the Kick-Eez 112 and mounted on the Boyds featherweight (40 oz) stock that was cut 1/2 inch.

Been waiting 3 months now for my Savage barrel in 6.8 SPC II, have everything except the barrel.
    The Kick-Eez 112 is 1.2 inches thich and will tame a magnum, so the 6.8 will be soft for my bad shoulder.
    Best part was zero woodworking to mount the pad.

I used a 16 tooth saw for laminates, the 12 tooth would not have been as clean a cut.

Last edited by brasse; 02-23-2013 at 02:26 PM.

65impala
    good job!

Looks good, but I'll give you a little piece of advice for the next time....pick and buy your replacement pad BEFORE you cut the stock down, then you don't have to worry about finding one that's just the right thickness to get your desired LOP.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Good job! I've found the Kick-Eez pad is by far the eaziest to use for a DIY poject if you don't have a shop full of the proper tools. Simply print off the broad size/shape selection of online templates and match you're stock to the closest fit. Tape your stock and sand down the pad to the perfect fit. I see Boyd's now offers to custom fit a Pachmyr recoil pad to your stock order for an additional $30.00. Looks like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by jpdown; 02-23-2013 at 03:06 PM.

brasse
    MrFurious, I had my Boyds stock for almost two months before I ordered.

Word of caution on the Limbsaver templates. They printed out oversize by almost a tenth of an inch. I could not get them to print out exact. The dimensions printed were used as well as the general size.

I knew I wanted the Kick-Eez 1.2 inches thick, so I cut 0.5 inches. Then I measured with a digital and an old fashioned analog calipers to get the exact wood stock dimensions. Then I measured again.

The cut was so perfect I did not even sand the stump. That Lowes fine tooth (16) was perfect for laminates. I doubt the 12 teeth models would have been so good.

Reason I posted is I doubt many will cut over a half inch just for a buttpad. My grandson needed his Ruger 10/22 wood stock cut down, I know I will eventually build him a left handed Savage with my spare 223 barrel and Boyds classic laminate.