Thread: DBM Questions

Basic Member

DBM Questions

I've got one of CDI Precision DBM bottom metals...AWESOME bottom metal...

I have an older Savage 110FP in .308 from the factory. CDI put a DBM bottom metal into it a while back...it came from the factory in 308...I am considering re-barreling it in 30-06. Does anyone know if AICS makes a 30-06 magazine or do I need a 300WM mag and bend/modify the feed lips? Will the DBM bottom metal you supplied accept a 30-06 magazine or do I need another bottom metal and mags. If so will a 30-06 DBM fit into the same inletting footprint as the .308 DBM bottom metal?

I've sent this to CDI but thought I'd ask here if anyone has done it...

Capt Beach

sortafast
    I have an accuratemag DBM on my 110 (the dbm that comes on the 338lapua savages) and I just got the 300wm mags and bent the feed lips a little. If you have access to a metal cutting bandsaw with a narrow blade, just take a piece of scrap, cut it say 1/8"-1/4" deep or so, then use the slot to ben it over. The wider the piece the more uniform the bend. I am running a 280remington on my 110 and it worked just fine. Didn't have to bend the lips very far at all. Works like a champ.

Basic Member
    I guess my real question is will the 30-06/300WM magazine fit in the 308 DBM footprint? I was pretty sure the 300WM mags could be "tuned" to fit 30-06...but thanks

Basic Member
    I know there are 3-D blueprints for the CDI bottom metal on the web. You should search for them and see if you can find the two different versions, that should give you the exact measurements of each bottom metal

sortafast
    Do you have the dimensions for the mag or the mag opening? That would be the key right there. do you have any pictures too? from what I can find you have 3 lengths of mag openings for the savage: 3.050", 3.715" and 3.850" plus or minus. Should be pretty easy to tell with the use of a tape measure which you got. The odd thing here is that the SA and the LA actions have different bolt centers to mount the DBM so unless its some sort of ******* child short action mag on a long action DBM, I would say that its probably the 3.715 DBM and you should be GTG.Then again to see a pic or a measurement would probably seal the deal.

Basic Member
    My mags are 3.050" and the opening is about the same so l am assuming the 3.715 are 300WM mags and the 3.850 are 338LM mags...so it looks like I need to get a 300WM DBM Bottom metal and mags...I think I'm just going to build another rifle at this point and get CDI to put a 30-06 DBM set up into it...by the time I spend $300 plus for the DBM and mags with inletting + a barrel I'm half way to a complete rifle...THANKS

sortafast
    Really I think you're better off doing that. Its kind of an odd set up having a 308 in a long action like that, but still using a SA DBM. You could try to sell that DBM to pay for the other one. I think one of the folks that does DBM's offers cheap inletting. I did the inletting on my DBM myself on my mill and it came out sweet.

palerider338
    Did a test to see if my 7.62x39 would feed from the 30-06 / 300 WM magazine on my 112BVSS stagger feed ......No problems feeding at all.

With the cost of the CDI set up + mag + in letting it's probably fewer ulcers to build another rig. Easier to run short cartridges from a LA than the other way around.