Thread: has anyone built a 17 hornet on a m10 action yet?

Basic Member

has anyone built a 17 hornet on a m10 action yet?

I don't post much here, but I've got a question. I'm "blessed" to be one of the 10% in their right brain (southpaw). That said, I don't ever imagine anyone offering a 17 hornet in anything LH. I really want one though. :)

I saw that Pacific Tool & Die offers a replacement bolt head for model 10 in a left side eject in a hornet diameter. THAT got the wheels spinning. I can envision it in my mind but I'm just wondering if anyone has done it yet and what other things I need to take into consideration. I'm assuming I would need to modify the mag box but what else? Any insight from those that have done it would be appreciated.

You can try it, but you'll never get it to feed - even as a single-shot. It's simply too short and too small in diameter to work in the 110 - which is probably why in 55 years Savage has never offered the 110 chambered for the Hornet.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

308law
    What you would need would be a controlled feed bolt but in a hornet bolt face and nobody makes that to my knowledge. Winchester made the Hornet work in the model 70 pre-64 controlled feed and I have seen mini-mauser actions make it work too, but again all use a controlled feed.

Basic Member
    Ok, how about a 17FB? Different bolt head I know but will it work with such a short cartridge? I thought I remembered seeing a tread about someone modifying the magazine to work with the shorter cartridges.

The hornet is within a few thousands the same length as the 17FB & 20Vartarg brass. 20VT works, if shot as single shot with the ejector removed, just need to remove brass from bolt head with fingers. Your going to have ejection problems with brass shorter than 223.