Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

Hubcap91

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but I made my old magazine work without buying a new cap from sharpshooter. All you have to do is dremel off the plastic clip and file it down. The plastic sticks out of the bottom of the gun a little because its thicker, but everything feeds fine.

zmadren
    What is Dark Eagle? Those are all the parts needed to convert plastic to metal?

Hubcap91
    Yeah those are all the parts you need. Dark Eagle makes 10 round magazines for Savage rifles. He is a one man company so you have to email to get on the list. The magazines are only compatible with the metal magazine frame, hence my reason for converting.

brasse
    I do love my DarkEagle. See review thread at http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-and-Darkeagle

Thank you for the part numbers.

Hubcap91
    No problem. Thanks for the review brasse.

dirtdigger
    I have just purchased one of these in 243 Win. so count me in as well! My store had only .223 & 243 in stock and I 've been wanting a 6 millie for some time, just haven't made up my mind till today what to jump on. Actually yesterday, it is past midnight already.. Can somebody else please confirm that a .223 version has 1 in 9 twist? Or I guess I could call Savage in the morning and double check. I have picked through both barrels and to me the 223's rifling seemed tighter than in the 243 but both are supposed to be the same. May be they do equip these with 1:7 or it is just my eyes, I dunno. I 'd jump on 223 in that case as well and get both on the same dross. The price is 499.95 through coming Saturday. Thanks in advance!

I registered a little while ago and was just lurking and reading. It is the second savage bolt action for me. The first was pre-accutriger laminate varminter in 22-250 with square back receiver bought over 10 years ago. So just saying "HI" to everybody:-)

11VT in 243?

If only it had a 1:8 barrel...

zmadren
    Can't wait to do this myself. With the Dark Eagles are the top loaded? The picture on the other forum kinda confused me
    Last edited by zmadren; 07-25-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Hubcap91
    Yeah they are top loaded. If you want one Darkeagle has them in stock right now. The website says out of stock but he shipped mine today.

dirtdigger
    I called Savage today to inquire about the twist rate. A lady who picked up the phone transferred me to another dept. where I spoke to a gentleman named Rob and he told me that he couldn't give any details on DSG exclusives and that I had to find it out by contacting a store. Does anyone have a recommendation who should I ask for specifically since looks like somebody was able to obtain some info on these by calling the company?

jccol59

savage modle 11vt

I really wanted a model 12 but I could not pass this gun up for $478.## out the door with a decent scope. The 12 has a 1 and 12 twist and 26 inch barrel and the one I bought has a 1 and 10 with 24 inch barrel. I have not fired the gun as I just bought it a few hours ago but the price was incredible considering fat boy stock with bipod and sling mount, accu trigger, scope and bull barrel. I cant wait to fire this weapon it may be rated under the model 12 but for the money I invested I think it blows the model 12 away. Will let you know how it performs soon! caliber 22-250
    Last edited by jccol59; 07-28-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: did not include caliber

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jccol59 View Post
    I really wanted a model 12 but I could not pass this gun up for $478.## out the door with a decent scope. The 12 has a 1 and 12 twist and 26 inch barrel and the one I bought has a 1 and 10 with 24 inch barrel. I have not fired the gun as I just bought it a few hours ago but the price was incredible considering fat boy stock with bipod and sling mount, accu trigger, scope and bull barrel. I cant wait to fire this weapon it may be rated under the model 12 but for the money I invested I think it blows the model 12 away. Will let you know how it performs soon! caliber 22-250
    Last I knew at my local Dick's they were $499, was your an advertised special?
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

jccol59
    I received 10% credit card application discount

Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    Last I knew at my local Dick's they were $499, was your an advertised special?

Basic Member
    I received 10% credit card application discount
    That explains it! LOL and also why the guys in the Lodge gave me strange looks.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

twrecks

Like the VT11

Hey all new here and have been lurking a bit. I too saw the savage VT11 at DSG and I am very intersted in it in 308. I also was looking at the Remington 700 adl varmint. Honestly I prefer the Remys stock but have heard there are several quality control issues with the newer 700's. I have read nothing but raves about the savages but I have a question. I want to attach a harris bipod to it but there seems to be a good deal of flew between the floating barrel and the foregrip. It makes me wonder if that would transfer to flex while firing therefore affecting accuracy. I am looking at shooting "stuff" from 100-300 yards and may also use it on deer, bear, zombies, at 100 or so. I like the rifle for an out of the box combo but figured I would ask here about quality, reliability and longevity issues. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by twrecks; 07-30-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: mis spelling

Hubcap91
    Quote Originally Posted by twrecks View Post
    Hey all new here and have been lurking a bit. I too saw the savage VT11 at DSG and I am very intersted in it in 308. I also was looking at the Remington 700 adl varmint. Honestly I prefer the Remys stock but have heard there are several quality control issues with the newer 700's. I have read nothing but raves about the savages but I have a question. I want to attach a harris bipod to it but there seems to be a good deal of flew between the floating barrel and the foregrip. It makes me wonder if that would transfer to flex while firing therefore affecting accuracy. I am looking at shooting "stuff" from 100-300 yards and may also use it on deer, bear, zombies, at 100 or so. I like the rifle for an out of the box combo but figured I would ask here about quality, reliability and longevity issues. Thanks in advance.
    A lot of people complain about the stocks, but I've been shooting mine off a bipod with no issues or noticeable flex. If its important to you there is already a channel cut out in the stock that would be perfect for gluing in an aluminum rod. Simple fix.

duncan92
    I have a trophy hunter package and the 11VT. The Trophy Hunter stock is far more flexible than the 11VT. I can slightly push on it with my hand and it will touch the barrel. I put a bipod on that stock just because I'm curious as a kitten, and as I figured the stock touched the barrel and I could no longer slide a piece of paper between the two.

With the 11VT, the very front of the stock I can bend and touch the barrel, but where the swivel studs are seems to be reinforced. Even with a bipod on it doesn't seem the stock is touching the barrel because I can easily slide a piece of paper between the two.

dirtdigger

So 11 VT in 22-250 has 1:10 twist? That's interesting because it is an odd twist for that caliber for a Savage. Some are 1:9 like certain LRPVs and some other model but I don't remember seeing any gun with one to ten twist in the catalog. I may be off but I think there is a good chance it will stabilize 68/69 grain pill variety in that case which is cool!

twrecks
    Dirt Digger to my knowledge the VT only comes in .223 or .308. Hub, Duncan thanks. I do like the platform and for what I want I think it will work just fine. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket ten round mags for this series of rifle?

Hubcap91
    Dirt Digger to my knowledge the VT only comes in .223 or .308. Hub, Duncan thanks. I do like the platform and for what I want I think it will work just fine. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket ten round mags for this series of rifle?
    I've seen the 11VT in 22-250 a couple times, doesn't seem as readily available as the .223 or .308 though. If you look at my past posts in this thread, I converted the bottom to an all metal setup. The parts and prices from Savage are listed. I also bought a 10 round magazine from www.darkeaglecustom.com The machining is fantastic and I'm very happy with the purchase. However, to use the magazine you will have to change to an all metal setup as I have done.

Trigger Guard- 107217 $25
    Frame Assy- 106705 $78
    Magazine- 55105 $50

blaster62
    Digger: To stabilize a 69 gr 1.0 long bullet in a 1in 10 you have to go 3000 fps to get a GC of 1.11 if that helps.

twrecks
    Hub do you have any pictures of that I would love to see it. Or did I miss them in the posts??

Hubcap91
    Hub do you have any pictures of that I would love to see it. Or did I miss them in the posts??
    I don't have any but I'll try to take some on my phone.

twrecks
    Cool

dirtdigger
    They do come in other calibers other than 223&308. As Hubcap mentioned there are 22-250s out there and as I said in my first post (#106) I purchased one last week in .243 Win. If someone is aware of other chamberings please chime in, I 'm curious as probably are others.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast