Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

HobbyShooter

I can't help you with the stock since I haven't looked into options yet.

The scope is entirely up to you and really depends on what you're going to use the rifle for, what features you want, and what you can afford.

The rings need to both keep the scope off the barrel, and position the scope so that when you take a natural cheek weld, your sight picture is usable. I've heard the best way to position a scope is to close your eyes, shoulder the rifle, and then open your eyes. The scope should be positioned so that you can open your eyes and have a good sight picture without having to move your head around. Whether that will require low, medium, high, or even extra high rings depends on that sight picture and the need to keep the scope's objective lens off the barrel.
    Last edited by HobbyShooter; 06-25-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Jailcop1964
    I just received a set of Weaver "six hole tactical" picatinny rings and 20 moa mount. I'll mount them to a Weaver Kaspa extreme tactical 3x12x44 scope. I have a Choate Tactical stock on order. This is my first build of a bolt action Savage, I'm looking to get my hands on a 10FP-SR or a 10P with the threaded 5R barrel as my next project.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    One interesting thing my friend behind the counter did say was that most of DSG discounts specifically exclude firearms, but if you open up a new DSG credit card account, you could get 10% off anything, including firearms, that would bring the pre-tax $599 price down to $539.10.

That's what I know.

I was looking at a .223 & .22-250 in the 11VT last night at my local Dick's in Erie County. They are now priced at $499. That is lower priced that most used .22-250s I see & less than a M25 lightweight walking varminter. Although the stocks seem somewhat unique they are cheap feeling & back by the tang safety you can see the action and stock do not mate well. I also don't care for the jelly like recoil pad. OK other than the stock (and the scope) it is a heck of a deal. I asked them what calibers they came in. I was sure there was a .308 but they didn't say but this thread confirmed it. Do they come in .204?
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    ... back by the tang safety you can see the action and stock do not mate well.
    It is generally understood that the Savage Rifle works best with the tang fully floated, so a slight gap between the tang and the stock is actually considered ideal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwiq4u2006 View Post
    Would anyone suggest a new stock for this Bobby hart or Boyds laminate? If I do this it needs to be a blind mag I read how to do this but i need a scope I was thinking sniper brand ? With high Mount rings? Please help my first build
    I could be wrong but I think the "Sniper" brand scopes are made by Leapers which makes many other brands of scope. You could find the exact same scope in a Leapers for less.

Basic Member
    It is generally understood that the Savage Rifle works best with the tang fully floated, so a slight gap between the tang and the stock is actually considered ideal.
    Last night as I was reading this long thread I had not got that far into the thread to see that post. That I wasn't aware of until minutes before reading what you posted Thomae. I suppose now that I know this I will pay closer attention. I should check the B.Mag to see what is is like. I do like the rifle. I was hoping that someone would have chimed in on available calibers. Are they only .223, .22-250 & .308?

Sitting Duck
    Dick's, in Tucson, said the VT 11 would only be offered in .233 and .308. Unless DSG changed their offering which is possible.

I purchased the .308 and like it a lot. Paid $549 for mine though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Duck View Post
    Dick's, in Tucson, said the VT 11 would only be offered in .233 and .308. Unless DSG changed their offering which is possible.

I purchased the .308 and like it a lot. Paid $549 for mine though.

Unless they are mistaken. I didn't confirm there was a .308 at the local store but I physically held the .223 & .22-250 . I am sure there is no 204 Ruger as my M25 204 I bought last year from Dick's was the 1st in that caliber they ever sold, excuse me, 1st .204 ever.

I don't have any use for a .223, after comparing Hornady loads in 204, 223 & 22-250 in 40gr. At 500yd the 40gr 204 drops 11 inches less than the 223 does and it has more energy than the 223 does at 350 yd. At 150yd the 204 40gr has more energy & speed than the 22-250 40gr does at 150yd & at 500yd it barely has less energy than the 22-250 does at 400yd. The only benefit the 22-250 has is the availability of heavier bullets. I might be wrong.

s002wjh
    what do you mean by "tang floated"??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    You know, when the astronauts drink Tang in zero gravity.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s002wjh View Post
    The tang area, near the safety, it doesn't rest on the stock, it "floats."

kerazy1
    My son bought one in .308 back in October for $499. It came with a Nikon scope. An unbelievable deal. The rifle is a tack driver. No issues with it at all...except he doesn't like me shooting it. I have been working up some handloads for it and he doesn't like me changing the scope adjustments. He is fifteen and saved his money for a long time to buy this rifle. I explained to him that it is the only way to find the most accurate load for his rifle. I bought two more model 11's a .223 and a .243 from a private party. Both are also excellent rifles. Savage makes a great rifle.IMHO

HobbyShooter
    Quote Originally Posted by kerazy1 View Post
    The rifle is a tack driver. No issues with it at all...except he doesn't like me shooting it. I have been working up some handloads for it and he doesn't like me changing the scope adjustments. He is fifteen and saved his money for a long time to buy this rifle. I explained to him that it is the only way to find the most accurate load for his rifle.
    I think I just found the sweet spot for my .308 11VT this morning with IMR 4895 and 175 SMK's. Seating right at the lands (no jump or jam) and 41.4 grains, I shot a .36" group at 132 yards.

Can't wait to try Varget or Reloader 15 since those seem to be the preferred powders for a .308.

Jailcop1964
    Just got the 11VT put back together, the way she sits now
    1. Harris 6/9 bipod
    2. Choate tactical fully bedded stock
    3.Weaver 20 moa base mount
    4. Weaver tactical 30mm six hole scope rings
    5. Weaver Kaspa 3x12x44 tactical scope with the TBX illuminated reticle
    Now I just have to find time to shoot it.
    Last edited by Jailcop1964; 07-15-2013 at 05:36 PM.

stabwound
    In June I purchased the .308 version. I love the rifle and it shoots well. The scope seems pretty decent for a package but will get replaced at some point. The first thing I would like to do is get a higher capacity magazine for my 11VT. Sadly it looks like the one guy producing 10 round mags had to stop due to the stupid Colorado gun laws (thank God I live in PA). It looks like through Sharp Shooter Supply you can get a new magazine assembly frame to use the 9 round magazine they sell. I emailed for clarification and will let you all know if anyone is interested. Happy shooting, Jeremy

Hubcap91
    New here. I have the .308 11VT and love it. Mine came with a Bushnell scope which seems sufficient for my needs. If you are interested in converting it to an all metal bottom assembly just call Savage. The only downside is that your original magazine will not work. I ordered a trigger guard, magazine frame, and the appropriate magazine for around $160. A little steep, but I got my rifle on sale for $350 so I didn't mind. They told me it should be a drop in fit. I'll update when it comes in.

Jailcop1964
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap91 View Post
    New here. I have the .308 11VT and love it. Mine came with a Bushnell scope which seems sufficient for my needs. If you are interested in converting it to an all metal bottom assembly just call Savage. The only downside is that your original magazine will not work. I ordered a trigger guard, magazine frame, and the appropriate magazine for around $160. A little steep, but I got my rifle on sale for $350 so I didn't mind. They told me it should be a drop in fit. I'll update when it comes in.
    Hubcap, could you post the part numbers along the prices because I would like to do the same thing

Hubcap91
    Yeah I'll make sure to post after they arrive. I know that the frame was around $75, trigger guard $25, and magazine $55. I give the exact prices when I get my invoice.

zmadren
    Definetly interested in the metal conversion also hubcap91. Has anyone replaced the stock yet? Also, short action refers to my .308 caliber correct? I have a 4-16X50mm Vortex PST FFP MRAD on the way to replace the optics, what would you guys recommend I mount it with? (base and rings) New to bolt actions, purchased one to get to get into long distance shooting.

duncan92
    I'm interested in the bottom metal conversion parts list too once you get the invoice in. I recently bought a used 11 VT for a pretty good deal and will probably convert it along with other upgrades.

Member Shoalwater replaced the stock with a Manners T2 from Stockys. Hopefully this hyperlink works (link).

Basic Member
    When did you get it on sale for that much? Holy cow I would litterally pull the trigger on a 22-250 for $400 if they dropped in price that much.

Basic Member
    "YES", "PLEASE"! Enquiring minds want to know! ???

Hubcap91
    I picked it up about two months ago. It wasn't advertised, I just happened to be in to look for .223 ammo. It may have been marked incorrectly, being that there was another .308, 22-250, and a .223 all there for $599. I took advantage of the situation to say the least. :)

Basic Member
    I picked it up about two months ago. It wasn't advertised, I just happened to be in to look for .223 ammo. It may have been marked incorrectly, being that there was another .308, 22-250, and a .223 all there for $599. I took advantage of the situation to say the least. :)
    Can we rub your head for the same good luck?

Hubcap91
    Quote Originally Posted by plinkin View Post
    Can we rub your head for the same good luck?
    Hopefully my luck continues. :) Parts came in today.
    Trigger Guard- 107217 $25
    Frame Assy- 106705 $78
    Magazine- 55105 $50

Everything dropped right in. Very happy with it. Now I just have to get on Dark Eagle's wait list.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast