Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

They are special order(contract) rifles that are exclusive to dicks. I know other companies that do this as well and they wont be in a catalog or on the web as a normal number such as the model 10/12. They make so many and then they are gone similar to jerrys sport exclusives and davidsons I believe.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

expfcwintergreen
    cpurick, would you be so kind to give me the overall weight of the gun along with the barrel diameter at the muzzle
    =======
    +1.
    I am also interested in the weight and the barrel diameter at the muzzle if anyone knows, and is it the same for both the .223 and the .308?

cpurick
    Sorry, can't give the weight as I've already swapped out the barrel and scope and added a bipod. I can say it's heavy enough that you should be able to shoot it all day in .308 without giving your shoulder a workout. Recoil is a complete non-issue shooting 120 grain .260 Rem after upgrading to a 26" barrel.

I believe the OD of the 24" barrel at the muzzle is just over .8"/20mm. There's a bevel at the tip, and the washer-shaped flat area around the recessed crown is about 18mm across.

I would expect the .223 contour to be identical.

The rifle uses the smaller of Savage's two common shank diameters. It comes with the smooth barrel nut, which was a complete nightmare to remove even with Jim's action wrench. There's simply no way to grip the nut without damaging it. Eventually I turned it with a pipe wrench against bare metal (after stripping the finish off the nut and chewing into the metal a bit). I also had some problems with the action slipping in the action wrench, but there's no damage that I can detect.
    Last edited by cpurick; 03-03-2013 at 01:39 PM.

expfcwintergreen
    I believe the OD of the 24" barrel at the muzzle is just over .8"/20mm.
    =====
    Thank you. I am getting back in to target shooting after 30+ years of not firing a gun and am looking for rifles with heavy barrels. If either of the DSG's in Memphis has the .308, I will probably buy it this week.

Wtlj
    I bought the .223 model, any scope recommendations cpurick?

expfcwintergreen
    Wtlj wrote:
    I bought the .223 model, any scope recommendations cpurick?
    =========
    Did it not come with the Bushnell 4-12X40 scope like Savage told you?

Wtlj
    Yes Bushnell 4x12x40 sharpshooter

cpurick
    I'm not qualified to recommend a scope.

I upgraded because just about everything's better than a package scope, and because I'm planning to use this rifle for half-mile shooting -- which is the same reason I rebarreled to .260 Remington.

thomae
    Upfront disclaimer: I get no kickbacks from Dick's Sporting Goods (DSG), and am not an employee thereof.

Today, I went into my local DSG to see if they had a specimen on the rack. I had not even finished my "Do you have the new Savage..." when the CSR behind the counter smiled and pointed to the top rack. "I thought you would be in sooner or later to look at these," he quipped. He and I have had a lot of very good rifle discussions over the past few years and he knows me as a Savage guy.

Anyway, I looked at the rifle. It is relatively heavy. I didn't have a scale, but I'd guess about 10+ pounds at least, not what you want for walking around the woods rifle, but fine for shooting off a rest. The stock has the wider beavertail and although it flexed when I applied pressure with my hand, I would guess that there was enough room between the stock and barrel that even with shooting from a bipod, the stock would not touch the barrel. (Those of you who have tried it may certainly correct me if I am wrong...I'm just guessing here).

One interesting thing my friend behind the counter did say was that most of DSG discounts specifically exclude firearms, but if you open up a new DSG credit card account, you could get 10% off anything, including firearms, that would bring the pre-tax $599 price down to $539.10.

That's what I know.

pg637b
    Is the vt barrel stainless

expfcwintergreen
    Is the vt barrel stainless?
    ================
    I haven't seen it yet (I hope to today), but at $600, I doubt it. That seems like too good price for a heavy barreled rifle with even a marginal scope to also have a stainless steel barrel.
    Last edited by expfcwintergreen; 03-10-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Basic Member
    Probably not S/S, the whole thing is matte black.

Wtlj
    I have one in .223 its all matte black. I love it. I need a bipod and sling for the gun any suggestions. Don't mind spending good money on the best.

1ShotKing
    Someone should post a picture!

Wtlj
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Let me know if you guys want more detailed pictures. There not the best. From my dark basement and iPhone!

1ShotKing
    Awesome, thanks. Looks like an awesome rifle for the price.

Dicks does exclusive's aa the time by deleting certain items like the accustock,they can compete with remington and others.It is just like a line item delete they do on cars and trucks and when you get it you soon realize why it was a bargain.Just a heads up,if you bought the remington,northlanders has criterion remage barrel packages so you can change them out just like a savage with the remage nut.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

eabernstein
    I am looking to buy either the new heavy barrel DSG Savage m11-VT, or Remington 700 SPS Varmint, in .308. Need advice as to the comparison between the two. In Savage, I am not too crazy about AccuTrigger, but I like DBM. In Remington trigger is nice, but no DBM, and the barrel did not look like free-floating. I would like to do target shooting at 200yards, working myself up to 500.
    Would anyone care to comment on the overall quality of the two, how susceptible are they for mods. I thought that it was Remington action that people would buy and put new barrels on.

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Dicks does exclusive's aa the time by deleting certain items like the accustock,they can compete with remington and others.It is just like a line item delete they do on cars and trucks and when you get it you soon realize why it was a bargain.Just a heads up,if you bought the remington,northlanders has criterion remage barrel packages so you can change them out just like a savage with the remage nut.
    I disagree with them being sub-par. The only reason they sell store exclusives is to please that market. If they made the same gun for everyone the price would be higher! This just means they don't have to lower their standards to compete in big box stores, add 1-2 different parts and they have a different model that cant be compared (price wise) with another one of their guns. There's nothing cheaper on that gun than any other gun they build.
    Last edited by Wtlj; 03-11-2013 at 08:17 PM.

expfcwintergreen
    Have any of you who purchased the Model 11 VT been to the range with it yet? Can you report back what is the best group you've shot with it, the average group, and how satisfied you are with it?

i have been torturing myself with which .223 to buy. I think I have finally settled on Savage because of being able to change the barrel myself. It is down to this one or spending much more money to buy one of the Savage target or varmint actions along with a Shilen bull or varmint barrel and who knows what stock that NSS sells.

nking1776
    Member "Shoalwater" has a post up on his recent VT purchase.

MikeA67
    I'm not an expert and I have no idea where the budgets are but this scope looks to be very popular in some of the
    sniper/shooting forums where I lurk......

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tact...pe-P51653.aspx

res1n9k9
    Was at Dicks today and they have one of the .308 11VT that seriously looking at...been looking and researching Savage rifles for a while..so if i get it will provide some feedback on my experiences..

expfcwintergreen
    Thank you for the heads-up, nking1776. It was a very interesting and informative thread, as is this one.

splebeau
    Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but here is the Photo from Dick's online... [ http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sh...redatorVarmint ]

It includes another Savage they sell. The 11 VT is the bottom of course. Last weekend we purchased one of these, a WalMart Remmy 770 special (with scope) and a Thompson Center .308 rifle and scope special from, I believe, Bass Pro with the plan to see how they stacked up.

Outcome: The Remmy behaved as you might think a $300 rifle would behave. Most of us had trouble keeping a grouping on an 8 1/2 x 11 target sheet at 100 yds. The scope was crap.

The Thompson and the Savage both did very well. The scope on the Savage (Bushnell) was a pain to zero but once it did, it proved to be a nicer scope for the test. Most of the people we had shooting (all, by the way, were ex-military) kept a 2" or smaller grouping at 100yds. The larger (read, TALLER) people in the group picked the Savage over the Thompson for comfort reasons. They both performed very well... I wish we had been able to get a Ruger American for our test.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast