Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

cpurick

New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

Saw two of these "Model 11 VT" rifles at my local Dick's, a .223 and a .308. I bought the .308 for eventual conversion to .260 Rem, and took delivery with a Leupold 6-18. Savage SKU on the box is 19939.

These are 24" heavy varmint barrels with Bushnell 4-12x40 scopes, Dick's lists at $599. Savage confirms the .308 has 10" twist.

Gun has an AccuTrigger. Black synthetic stock is unique -- beavertail and three swivel studs similar to a Model 12. Barrel is well floated. Overall, the gun feels heavy.

I didn't realize this was a retailer special until I went to look it up and couldn't find anything remotely like it on Savage's site. I really wanted a heavy barrel 308 for my .260 LR project, and I was pretty close to buying a Rem 700 SPS Varmint until I saw this. Savage makes a better candidate for barrel swaps, so I picked it up.
    Last edited by cpurick; 02-23-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Scope is 4-12

maclowry
    Good deal.
    Is the bolt release on the side?

cpurick
    In front of the trigger.

You know, it occurs to me that I don't know for sure that Savage wasn't already selling these to Dick's. But the lady at Savage who looked up the specs had never heard of the series before, so I'm assuming they're new.
    Last edited by cpurick; 02-20-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Corrected bolt release location.

futr_trooper
    pictures please

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpurick View Post
    I really wanted a heavy barrel 308 for my .260 LR project, and I was pretty close to buying a Rem 700 SPS Varmint until I saw this. Savage makes a better candidate for barrel swaps, so I picked it up.
    You mean it's going to be easier to sell the varmint barrel as a take-off?

cpurick
    Bolt release in front of the trigger -- my bad.

And, no, the varmint barrel's not an easy sale. But it will be nice to know that whatever heavy barrel I buy, it'll still fit this same stock.

Wtlj
    Hi I'm new to the forum and very interested in this gun! Does anyone know more about it? Is it the accustock, I don't even see anything remotely like it on savages website! Is the barrel the same as any other model.

pitsnipe
    It sounds the same as my Mdl 10 FLCP-K Accu Stock. With DBM, bottom bolt release (in front of the trigger) and two sling studs up front. One of these days Ill get a pic of mine back on here. The last ones I posted went away with the new site.
    Good Shootin yer new gun!

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    It sounds the same as my Mdl 10 FLCP-K Accu Stock. With DBM, bottom bolt release (in front of the trigger) and two sling studs up front. One of these days Ill get a pic of mine back on here. The last ones I posted went away with the new site.
    Good Shootin yer new gun!
    Well I just got off the phone with savage. The gun is a dicks only exclusive. Here's the specs:
    -24" heavy barrel
    -9:1 twist
    -accutrigger
    -black synthetic stock (not accustock)
    -4-12x40 bushnell scope
    $599

Still torn between this one and the 111 trophy combo with Nikon bdc

cpurick
    9" twist would have to be the .223. They told me the .308 is 10".

cpurick
    Yes, the stock is similar to the FCP-K, though I doubt it's an AccuStock. I'll know more about the stock when I tear it down next week to put the .260 barrel on it.

Wtlj
    Yes your correct 9" on .223 and 10" on .308. What do you think about the rifle? Do you think it would suit me well for my first rifle in the target/varmint hunting category. I'm still debating on caliber between the .223 and .308 but I did like the gun. Just find it odd it's not savages model or lineup. Wondering if they cheap out on certain aspects and if I should go with a regular 111 trophy model with the Nikon BDC scope.
    Thanks
    Terry

Wtlj
    What did you pay for your .308?

Jronin8
    I picked this very gun up today at Dick's in .308. I believe it is very much the FP-SR with a DBM. Also I got it for 549.99. The best price I could find on the FP-SR $642.99 with a msrp of $775.00. Just an FYI.
    John

cpurick
    FP is AccuStock. I suspect this one is not. Plus, with the new-style action that has the bolt release by the trigger guard, there may not be as many options for upgrading the stock.

That said, I'm happy I got it over the Axis and the Rem 700 as a short action barrel swap platform. I already have a 26" .260 Rem barrel in transit, and I'm thinking about getting one chambered in .243 as well. It's a lot cheaper to be collecting barrels than guns.

EDIT: Turns out the FP-SR is not AccuStock. So this could be a similar stock, only with a 24" varmint barrel. But it does appear to be a different action than the FP-SR. Since this has the trigger-guard bolt release, the stocks might only be outwardly similar. But I do agree that the 11VT and the 10FP appear to be similar rifles, including the fact that both are available in .223 and .308.
    Last edited by cpurick; 02-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Wtlj
    FP is AccuStock. I suspect this one is not. Plus, with the new-style action that has the bolt release by the trigger guard, there may not be as many options for upgrading the stock.

That said, I'm happy I got it over the Axis and the Rem 700 as a short action barrel swap platform. I already have a 26" .260 Rem barrel in transit, and I'm thinking about getting one chambered in .243 as well. It's a lot cheaper to be collecting barrels than guns.
    cpurick, would you be so kind to give me the overall weight of the gun along with the barrel diameter at the muzzle, if you have a caliper to do so.
    Also how do you change calibers is it just as easy as ordering different caliber barrels or do you have to change bolt, magazine etc., do you have to stay in same class of calibers or could get a .223 and ..308 out of the same gun?
    Last edited by Wtlj; 02-23-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Basic Member
    It sounds like this model has a stock I could use for my .243 build.

I'm wanting a stock that has the wider beavertail forend in a 4.4" action spacing with the new bolt release on the front of the trigger that will take a bull barrel. I wonder if Savage would sell me just the stock?

cpurick
    Yeah, I plan to get a .243 barrel for mine as well, probably with an 8" twist.

Basic Member
    That's exactly what I have coming from Jim @ NSS. A 28" Criterion SS 1 in 8 twist bull/competition barrel. I'm just having a heck of a time trying to find a suitable stock.

I was wrong...
    Last edited by BoilerUP; 02-24-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Incorrect info

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    I was wrong...
    About what?

ellobo
    ., do you have to stay in same class of calibers or could get a .223 and ..308 out of the same gun?

Yes you can but be aware that going from .223 to .308 or any cartridge with a larger cartradge head dia means changing the bolt head and baffle at least. The beauty of Savages is that you can change everything to your liking, you just have to be aware that older rifles sometime need different things changed due to Savage's penchant for changing things without teling us.

El Lobo

cpurick
    Yep, I bought the 11VT in .308, and I just got a 26" .260 barrel for it. Next I'm getting a 26" .243, and I might even put a longer .308 barrel on it at some point. Since they're all based on the same casing, the only thing you need to change out is the barrel. They even use the same headspace gauges.

If I went with the .223 I couldn't do this, though if I really wanted a .224 I could do it cheaper with a .22-250, which uses the same bolt and can probably be made to work with the same mag.
    Last edited by cpurick; 02-26-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Wtlj
    Yep, I bought the 11VT in .308, and I just got a 26" .260 barrel for it. Next I'm getting a 26" .243, and I might even put a longer .308 barrel on it at some point. Since they're all based on the same casing, the only thing you need to change out is the barrel. They even use the same headspace gauges.

If I went with the .223 I couldn't do this, though if I really wanted a .224 I could do it cheaper with a .22-250, which uses the same bolt and can probably be made to work with the same mag.
    How much are those barrels costing you and where are you buying them?

cpurick
    Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. Good prefit barrels are about $300, which is cheaper, faster and more convenient than having them made to order by the very same shops. You're gonna need some tools, too, and Jim has some of those as well.

You have to work patiently to get through to Jim, as his line is always busy. It's worth the effort.

http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...hooters-Supply

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast