Thread: 6.5 Build Questions

6.5 Build Questions

I am in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor, I have just about everything decided on except the barrel. My plan is to shoot 130gr and under as there are several bullets in the .550 to .571 BC range. My 1st question is should I go with a 9 or 8 twist barrel? This gun will be used for everything from long range yotes, hogs, silhouettes to possibly getting into some F-Class.

2nd question is barrel choice, I have used pretty much only Pac-Nor with great results. I am trying to decide if I should go with them or try one of the following barrel makers for this build. I was thinking these below, or should I just stick with what has been working?

Shilen
    Krieger
    Hart
    Brux
    Douglas

All of them shoot great and i would go with an 8 twist just incase you wanted to shoot a 140 someday. The 130s and 120s will do well with an 8 twist.

That1guy
    Brux, Rock Creek, Kreiger or Bartlein would be my choices, and Id go with what I could get the fastest or what the smith suggested.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

cduarte
    are you going to be reloading? if so I think you'll find that .260 rem would be a better choice as you have more than one brass option. Ballistically there's not much difference between the two...

1-8 Twist. Barrel? Why not a Criterion from Northland? Every one I have had was excellent.

bodywerks
    I chose a Krieger 1:8.5 5r for my 260 build. No particular reason other than it was sitting on the shelf at a local shop. Its a blank barrel, not prefit, and I'll be doing away with the barrel nut on this one.
    Of the barrels you mentioned, choose the one that you can get! They are all fine barrels. I suggest 8-8.5 twist. They will work fine for your 130's but will also launch the (better performing ) 139-140 pills.

Nosler has brass coming out as well as the Hornady that is available now. Also I like the better shoulder angle on the Creedmoor. I know I could go 260AI, but then I have to fireform brass and that is the reason I got rid of my 250 AI. I just don't have enough time on my hands for reloading twice for one shell.

Basic Member
    if your going creedmoor make sure you can find the go-nogo guages i waited 2 months for a set of guages (had to borrow them from another memberwho is not on here anymore) last i checked they were not to be found. i've been kicking around the idea of biulding another one but the guages is the stopping point for me i got over the brass part by forming and turning my 308's into 6.5CM.

Ordered some from midway, they are backordered, but I am not in a real hurry. I figure the barrel will take as long as anything to get

Basic Member
    Stick with the 1:8 barrel at least 22" long. The stock savages are shooting outstanding in this caliber. Criterian prefit would be my #1 choice. Followed by krieger, shilen, bartlien lilja

Most people have had outstanding accuracy out of 140 gr amax and vld bullets.
    Last edited by limige; 02-21-2013 at 12:03 AM.

My plan is a 26" barrel similar to the factory varmint contour or a little heavier.