Thread: coating a savage receiver and barrel while assembled

KerDog77

coating a savage receiver and barrel while assembled

I have heard people coating their barrels(ceracote, duracoat etc.) while screwed on to the receiver. Is this the best method for wanting to achieve a coating of the whole assembly?

Team Savage
    Take it apart if you want to coat the metal parts. Surface must be clean and completely oil free for these products to stick. Sand blasting the metal with 120 grit aluminum oxide is recommended.

Westcliffe01
    Cerakote is used by many custom rifle builders and usually is done with a barreled action. Look at Gunwerks.com http://www.gunwerks.com/Long-Range-U...ts-Made-Videos it is the last video on the page.
    http://youtu.be/9yr6OJrCc8A

KerDog77
    That's all I need to know. Thanks guys. I'm getting real close to final assymbly and plan to post up when complete.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Take it apart if you want to coat the metal parts. Surface must be clean and completely oil free for these products to stick. Sand blasting the metal with 120 grit aluminum oxide is recommended.
    I would never do it that way. Coat the barreled action. I see no reason to risk damaging the finish while installing the barrel. Why would you see this as an advantage?

Westcliffe01
    Bear in mind that there is a difference between a $7000 custom gun and a lot of other users who simply need a durable matt finish in something other than black (although they obviously have black too). I have 2 builds which will be cerakoted soon. A Rem 700 with custom barrel and my Model 12 which is stainless that I need all the flash killed on.

But certainly doing it assembled is the way it is usually done. On a real working gun, the finish does get marked and a lot of guns will go through a barrel in 1000 rounds when it starts losing its edge. For me that is a long time, but for someone shooting prairie dogs, not so much...

rmdailey
    Having coated a few things, and the barrel nut on the Savage making removing the barrel easy. Take apart, degrease. sand blast, degrease, degrease, degrease, assemble, degrease, and touch up. Oh did I mention degrease.

On a barreled action you don't have to take the barrel apart, it probably is overkill, but you'd get the best possible finish. Brake cleaner is a great degreaser that gets into small places and evaporates clean, acetone too.

Basic Member
    Just had mine done as a Barreled action in cerekote fde and looks outstanding, had my bolt handle and dnz mounts done as well

I take it apart so i can get it to fit in my oven. If i had one big enough i wouldnt disassemble and coat the whole thing in one shot.

If you disassemble it then you have to mask off the threads on the shank and inside the action as the buildup of paint (which is all Duracoat and Cerakote is) is enough that it will create a problem. That combined with the need to touch-up the work after re-assembly makes it a no-brainer to just coat it as an assembled barreled action. Quality and durability of the finish won't make a difference either way.

Now, if you want to tear it down for the prep work, that's another story as the prep works is where it's at when it comes to getting a quality finish. Just reassemble before coating.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain