Thread: Primers

gambler_m_99

Question Primers

Just wanted to ask you guys about the use of different primers in .223 cal. I have several different brands of primers (Federal, CCI, Winchester) and was wanting to know if it made a big differance in accuracy? I use the same primer on whatever lot I am loading at the tiime, so as not to get them mixed up.
    Any advice?

I also have a full box of 73 grain .224 Berger BT Target (100ct) for sale. I was going to load in the ole Remington 788, but found out the twist rate was to slow. Asking $35.00 which includes shipping.

E-Mail--markbell@centurytel.net

Yes - primers make a significant impact on accuracy. I use CCI BR (benchrest) primers, but I've been noticing that others (who have much more experience than I) are talking about Wolf and/or Russian primers as being possibly better (which would be very cool as I think the world of CCI BR primers)...

Looking forward to seeing what others here have to say.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Do you like the BR primers, because they are suppose to be more consistent, or because they are thicker and can take a hotter load with less signs of pressure.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I get consistent results with them.... I had not considered that they are thichker nor about any of those implications from them. Do you feel the BR primers are a bad choice? Any recommendations I should look into (try)?
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

terrymiller
    Most reloaders I know use standard primers because they feel they're consistent enough. CCI's one of the favorite brands, though.

To tell you the truth, I am just to cheap to spend they extra money, and I am not a good enough shot to tell the difference, and I like the fact that the regular primers have a lower threshold of pain, IE start showing signs of pressure earlier, that's my signal that says OK Dean that's enough of that, cause that's where I draw the line, I never make it to sticky bolt status, I am far from reckless as some folks might think, or have they impression I am, due to my never ending quest for velocity, It's a fine line, but I rarely if ever cross it.

PS Mag primers also have a thicker skin, but I do not use them for another reason, they make faster burning powders spike high and hard, as far as pressure goes.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

CCI-200s in my 260
    CCI-450s in my 223AI (-200s were cratering and occasionally piercing)

I've interchanged -400s, -450s and Rem 6.5s in ARs and not seen any measurable difference in accuracy or ES/SD.

Once I burn through the last couple hundred -400s and Rem 6.5s, I plan on going all -450 for my small rifle primer needs.

Basic Member
    Please note the primer cup thickness, and how reading the primers for pressure could be deceiving.