Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hodgdon Benchmark?

terrymiller

Hodgdon Benchmark?

I'm putting together a new 260AI rifle. Has anyone used Benchmark? It looks like it gives a little more velocity than 4350 or 4831. I know their 8208 xbr works well in the 223 cartridges.

Terry I just want you to be aware that there is a huge gap, between Benchmark and they other powders you mentioned, as far as there burn rate, if you are using H4831 and then say to yourself, I wonder if I can get more velocity with Benchmark, for lack of a better term you are out of range as far as burn rate goes, if you tell us what bullets or at least a couple of possibility's at least weight wise anyway, we can narrow it down.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

terrymiller
    I was looking at the 95 grain Hornady varmint pill. It's listed at 3391 fps versus 3284 for H4350.

The initial loads will be for the Sierra 100 and 85 varmint pills along with the Hornady. I'll probably also load some of the heavier bullets but mainly this rifle will be used for the dogs that are out of reach for the 223.

Ok that makes more sense, I thought I was they only one to shoot 85s and 95s out of my 260AI it seems everyone just shoots 140 SMKs and nothing else, almost 3400 FPS with the benchmark good choice, and even more if you take full advantage of that AI thingy you got going on, if you like that kind of shooting check out those 85gr sierra's HP, with a healthy dose of Varget I have them traveling over 3700 FPS, a good time was had by all except the yotes.

Tanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 02-18-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spellink
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

terrymiller
    I was gonna not go with the AI case until I read about your 3700 fps in another post. That had an impact since the barrel was delivered today.

Norma brass is in transit. I can supplement with Rem if I can't find Lapua by early May. The primers are gonna be a problem since no store has them in stock and I'm not paying shipping. All that's left is the sample powders and the bullets. Those 85's aren't stocked many places either.

WOW I am speechless, I have always wondered If anyone ever reads my posts, let alone taking any stock in them, due to the fact I always get a lot of resistance or flack, from my style of loading and shooting, so thanks I will take that as a complement that you did your build around my findings, you wont be disappointed that's for sure, If my way of doing things had not worked for me the first time, I would not have built 15 different rigs all using that same Philosophy, oh and by the way the real number is 3800 FPS+ I didn't realize some one was paying attention.

Tanks Dean

terrymiller
    The bullets are on the way. Hornady 95's, speer 90's and the Sierra 85 & 100's.

Still interested in whether anyone tried Benchmark.

I have it's OK but just that OK, I have had better results with H335 - H 4895 -IMR 4064 - Varget and RL15 all had a better FPS and tighter grouping. they only application I have found benchmark to excel, is my 30-30 lever action Winchester, I kid you not

Tanks Dean

terrymiller
    I can use Varget with the 223 in a pinch as well.

Basic Member
    Benchmark works well for me in 223AI with the smaller bullets. Same in 308 using 155 grainers. From what I can tell, it's a short-cut Varget. Works well in powder measures.

It is a little 'peaky' so work your loads up in small increments.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    From what I can tell, it's a short-cut Varget. Works well in powder measures.
    Yeah, yeah ... nope!

Benchmark as sold in the USA, is Benchmark2 over here in Australia. BM2s relative quickness rates at 0.66, whilst AR2206H (you call it H4895) rates at 0.63. AR2208 which you call Varget rates 0.62. BM2 is very similar in burn rate to an older powder we called AR2206 which was discontinued (replaced actually by AR2206H) and it had a burning rate of 0.65, both BenchMark 1 and 2 were developed to chase the benchrest crowd possibly because at the time, one of the employees at the factory was heavily involved in benchrest and other forms of target shooting.

Treat it with care as it can indeed get 'peaky' if your loading it like Varget.

This is the ADI (Thales) data for the 260Rem which lists BM2 and the 95gr pills.
    http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...=260+Remington

Cheers...
    Con
    Last edited by Con; 02-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Hi Con where can one get one of these quickness rates charts or info.

Dean

Basic Member
    What was the 30-30 load and how did it shoot?

The load I use for my 30-30 is a full case of Benchmark and a 100gr Speer, yes Virginia you can hit 3000+ FPS with a 30-30, I love that load and that 1894 Winchester lever action, where it really shined is when you are hunting squirrels, and they are tapping from tree to tree, you can follow them with they open sights, and acquire the target really fast, even after cycling they action, I never did any target shooting with it, so I can't say what grouping was possible, but it could pick off a grey squirrel at 150' plus no problem.

Tanks Dean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Hi Con where can one get one of these quickness rates charts or info.

Dean
    It's been published locally in features on Thales/ADI powders. If you send me a PM with an email address I can send you scanned articles. Most of the AR current powders are all derivatives of a predecessor known as AR2201 which was the first of the 'temp-insensitive' powders developed for the Australian military for 7.62 ammunition. Some even reduced pressure as the conditioning temperature rose. The various 'lots' of AR2201 I believe became what we first had commercially released as AR2207, AR2206, AR2208 etc and that development continues as specific blends are required by clients.
    Cheers...
    Con

Thanks OK will do.

Dean

Forgot to mention, if you use 375 win brass, you can really crank up the heat.

Tanks Dean

terrymiller
    Primers are non-existent. I bought some large rifle magnum out of desperation. Is it worthwhile to use these to develop loads? How much should I reduce the powder charge by when using these?

Hey Terry, my rule of thumb when using mag primers with faster powders, is reduce your load by 10% and then creep back up, and you will be fine.

Tanks Dean

Tanks for sending that Con.

Dean

Hey Terry any luck with those mag primers?

Dean

terrymiller
    Haven't loaded them yet. Won't have dies until April. Just trying to get a head start planning. Thanks for the starting point though.

Basic Member
    Benchmark in 260 AI ? Think H4350........RE17.......RE19......H4831sc

BM way too fast..........
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Actually if you are sending 85gr Sierra HP and 95gr Vmax's down the pipe, Benchmark is pretty sweet, in fact 3700 FPS of sweetness.

Tanks Dean

You can even add another 100+ FPS if you use Varget or CFE 223, with those same bullets in a 260AI over Benchmark.

Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast