Thread: Savage 14 Classic Misfires

cobia66

Savage 14 Classic Misfires

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and have a question about my new Savage 14 Classic in 7mm-08. I ordered it from my local dealer and just got it home the first of this week. When I opened the box I saw that it was a 2007 model according to the papers in the box. OK, no big deal. I took it to the range with 3 boxes of ammo...Remington Core-Loc, Federal Premium and Winchester Supreme. I shot 6 rds of the Remington when I had a misfire, no other misfires out of that box. Shot 10 rds of Federal with no problem. With the Winchesters I was only able to shoot 1 rd out of 8, the rest were misfires. I called Savage and asked if there were any issues with Winchester ammo or firing pins, and she said none that she knew of and that I should stick with the Federals since it seems to shoot them!!
    Any thoughts on what the problem may be? Also, does anyone know of somebody at Savage that may be more helpful?
    Thanks for any input

Uncle Jack

Re: Savage 14 Classic Misfires

Any new Savage rifle should shoot any off the self factory ammunition. Try again and if the same results, send it back. A buyer shouldn't have to agonize, annolize, repair, or deal with such a basic problem.

uj

Misfire? I'm guessing you mean the sear tripped as with the AccuTrigger it's impossible to have a misfire (well, unless you remove the center safety lever from the trigger). Sounds to me like you just need to increase the trigger pull weight a little.

If you did indeed have a misfire (round fired) then box it up and send it back immediately because something's way out of wack.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

When you say misfire do you mean light primer strikes? If you cock the bolt then fire it again does the round go off?

You might try cleaning the inside of the bolt by using a generous amount of spray brake cleaner. Use the straw and give a good once over. If the mechanism is dirty or the lube too thick the firing pin can sometimes be inhibited from moving freely enough to strike the primer hard enough to set it off

cobia66

The firing pin was indeed strinking the primer. Small dents are seen where the pin struck the primer,but I guess not hard enough to ignite the primer.

Basic Member

Can you post a picture?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

cobia66

Sure, but I dont know how to post one....any suggestions would be helpful.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cobia66
    Sure, but I dont know how to post one....any suggestions would be helpful.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...ic,3598.0.html

This article explains how to do it.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

steveinwv

My 112vlp 25-06 does the same thing with Winchester brass only. It must be smaller overall. After about a dozen misfires on handloads I took the bolt apart and moved the firing pin out to 0.070". No more misfires as I fireformed the rest of the 100 rounds of new brass. Once the fireforming was done, I moved the firing pin back and neck sized my cases. No problems since. Even full sized cases work fine. Blame most of it on the small brass, and the rest on Savage for not headspacing correctly.

I truly believe that on a fluted gun, Savage headspaces to get the flutes lined up, and not so much to get the headspacing right. Had my gun barrel been cranked down another 0.005 to 0.010", I wouldn't have had this problem. The trouble was that the flutes wouldn't have lined up. Just a typical mass production tradeoff.

BTW...........ever since I bought this gun slightly used, that the reason it was traded in was because the original owner had the same problem and was too ignorant to know what was happening. My gain.

Uncle Mike

Sounds like you got one that the firing pin is not protruding enough. It is an easy adjust, but as was said, you should not have to concern yourself with anything other than shooting the rifle.
    Send it back!

Basic Member

While you should NOT have to mess with anything like this, since it IS a Savage, why not adjust the firong pin protrusion and keep shootin?

It will take about 30 min and you'll learn a lot about the rifle. Your choice, but I would fix it. adjust the pin and go shoot the rest of the ammo that failed to fire the first time. It's amazing what a diference a few .000" will make.

Basic Member

"Misfire? I'm guessing you mean the sear tripped as with the AccuTrigger it's impossible to have a misfire (well, unless you remove the center safety lever from the trigger). Sounds to me like you just need to increase the trigger pull weight a little.

If you did indeed have a misfire (round fired) then box it up and send it back immediately because something's way out of wack."

What you are describing is an accidental discharge. I don't think that's what he had. A misfire is when you intend to fire the weapon and it doesn't go off which is what he was describing. I agree with the others, he can either send it back or adjust the firing pin protrusion. It could also be dirty and getting stuck or the firing pin not releasing fast enough to strike with enough force.

haldir

how do you adjust the firing pin protrusion?

Quote Originally Posted by haldir
    how do you adjust the firing pin protrusion?
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...oard,38.0.html
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor