Thread: Savage cheek piece/comb ID please

Basic Member

Savage cheek piece/comb ID please

I attempted to ask the folks at Savage about this piece; part #, whether it's available separately or not, etc. 45 minutes on hold didn't get me any closer to an answer so I thought I'd ask those in the know. I grabbed this picture from the Savage web site. It's a Savage F-TR. The comb is ugly, but I kind of like it:)

Thanks
    Matt
    Last edited by hnts4fun; 02-18-2013 at 06:09 PM.

bodywerks
    It is very ugly, but what's worse is it pushes your head further off to the side making it harder to naturally acquire your target through your scope. Do yourself a favor and look toward an integrated cheek piece using hardware such as the kmw loggerhead (google it). Its top notch hardware and only $50. If you're not a do it yourselfer, look up the user "stockdoc" on snipers hide. He'll do the whole job, hardware included, for $150ish and only takes a couple weeks.

Basic Member
    I hear you...hadn't thought about the cast off. Thanks for the info on stockdoc.

Matt

bodywerks
    Oh yeah, guess i could have provided the maker, lol. FWIW, i highly recommend tactical works for anything they have that you want. Very reasonably priced and quick to ship. I always order my sss triggers from them, as well as anything else i can.

Basic Member
    Thank you both!

JCalhoun
    The FTR uses the cheek piece of the Choate stock and I think they have two or three thicknesses. I'd be more interested in the Karsten cheek piece.

Basic Member
    JCalhoun,

I'm glad you jumped in for a couple of reasons. First, I agree the Karsten style cheek piece would probably suit me best. I like how it doesn't push the shooter's face away from the stock. But I'm not so crazy about is the adjustable part. Once I get it to the correct height that is where I always want it to be. I like a good-looking rifle as much as the next guy but I may end up recruiting some help to build up that area of my stock until it fits... then call it good.

However, I'm glad you jumped in for another reason; because you are a moderator. I might be stepping in to a pile of something that's warm and stinky but here goes. Back in October of 2012 a forum member posted these pictures along with an in-depth write up of how and why he built this style of cheek piece. Luckily I saved his thread in my files; something I frequently do. When I attempted to revisit this thread, it appears all of his posts from this point forward (including the one with these pictures) were deleted.

I remember, having posted in this thread, a request for a picture of the "backside" of this rest. Unfortunately the thread had disappeared. I don't mean to stir something up but I did think it was a cool and creative solution to getting the shooter's face up a little higher on the stock.

JCalhoun
    First, I don't have the authority to delete anything. That would be the administrator.

Secondly, are you wanting to make this a simple DIY project or use commercially available parts? There are several ways to go here from taping mouse pads to the stock all the way to getting a laminated wood stock with a generous cheek weld and shaping it to fit.

I think the aftermarket cheek pieces are the best solution but it up you.

Basic Member
    Karsten style piece fits my abilities and budget just fine. I appreciate the reminder :)