Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boyd's stocks- anyone got pics with their rifle in one?

Basic Member

boyd's stocks- anyone got pics with their rifle in one?

looking to buy a stock and wanted to know what you guys thought. do they have the centerfeed mag in them or do i have to find a way to fit mine into it? or?

show me what yours looks like.

Don't have a pic at hand but the Boyd's Prairie Hunter is a really fine stock. Mine is for a long action Savage 110 with blind center feed magazine but they also have the same thing for short actions. They are already inletted for your center feed magazine with the L clip.IMO the Boyd's stocks are a great buy and a great stocks.

Basic Member
    excellent. i have had 2 before but not for a savage. i think i will take your advice. have not had a prairie hunter.

Basic Member
    I'm looking at getting a Boyd's stock also.. Would you get the stock first or spend that money on a better trigger?

Basic Member
    what kinda trigger do you have? if it's anything other than the axis, you should be able to adjust it or pay a smith $40 to make it a nice trigger. but yeah the trigger would come first. unless you're ok with it for now and want the stock

Basic Member
    I got factory trigger in my Stevens 200 and its okay for now... I think I'd rather have the stock..

Basic Member
    have you adjusted it at all? if not, take it out of the stock and turn it upside down. see the silver screw with the wire coming out? turn that counter clockwise a couple turns and try the trigger again. make sure the safety still works and that it won't go off if jarred. after i adjust them i put them back together and slam the bolt home a few times and bump the butt pad on the floor a few times...make sure it's not going to go off if you drop it.

Basic Member
    I've not messed around with it yet... I was going to order a trigger pull guage before I started on it.. Thanks for the help...

Oh, If I get a Boyd's stock, I really dig that Nutmeg color...

Basic Member
    forget the gauge. if it feels good to you who cares what the weight is- save your money. i like the nutmeg too, i have one on my mauser.

goinssr
    Here are two of mine, both in Boyd's Classic stocks. The top is an Interarms MkX in .35 Whelen that I have had for quite a few years. The bottom is a .338 Federal that I just received the stock for today. If you notice in the pic the new one (bottom) has a relieved area on both sides of the forearm for your fingertips where the older one (top) does not. I really like the feel of the new one. I like Boyd's stocks. They require very little work, if any at all, for a good fit.

Admin Edit: I don't like being yelled at (all bold text)
    Last edited by goinssr; 02-19-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Swiss32
    Savage 11 long range hunter in 300 wsm

uswaldronz
    Here is mine. Savage 10FP.

And does this without too much work. Still working on a load for it but it is just about close enough for me.

Do they make them for a L/A SF with a varmint barrel? I couldn't find one with anything but a sporter barrel channel.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

stangfish
    A 260 I help a friend build. This particular stock was ugly on this side. The worst I've seen. All the rest are purdy.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbgalt View Post
    have you adjusted it at all? if not, take it out of the stock and turn it upside down. see the silver screw with the wire coming out? turn that counter clockwise a couple turns and try the trigger again. make sure the safety still works and that it won't go off if jarred. after i adjust them i put them back together and slam the bolt home a few times and bump the butt pad on the floor a few times...make sure it's not going to go off if you drop it.
    Just my .02 from my experience, I know a lot of people adjust their triggers in this manner but I have had safety issues with this adjustment. If the wire (spring) is too flat then it may not reset the trigger fully and can lead to iffy trigger/ sear engagement. this can cause the rifle to either not cock properly which is no more than a pain in the neck OR to discharge when the bolt is closed or when the safety is moved from the safe position to the fire position. This is downright dangerous. It is far preferable to replace this spring (wire) by making one with a piece of music wire, piano wire, spring steel wire whatever you want to call it that is at or a little above .043 diameter. KEEPING THE ARCH IN IT IS CRITICAL to the correct operation of these parts and avoiding a possible dangerous situation.
    To those who have made the adjustment recommended prior to my suggestion I strongly suggest that you re check your rifle and make sure that you have plenty of arch in the trigger return spring. Just because everything has seemed fine and you haven't had a negligent discharge yet. doesn't mean you wont. The internet is full of BAD info and I cringe every time I see someone recommending to take some of the arch out of the trigger return spring. Replacement with a suitable spring is a much better option.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

stangfish
    All that just to say the trigger spring needs preload?

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    All that just to say the trigger spring needs preload?
    Yup, hopefully in an explanatory fashion easily understood by anyone reading it, and to keep someone from sending hot lead in an unintended direction (hopefully not mine) at the wrong time and place either making them crap themselves or everyone around them crap themselves or possibly hurt themselves or someone else or multiple persons and blow a hole in a vehicle or vehicles or building or buildings either up close or way off in the direction their muzzle was pointed when the negligent discharge happened. Centerfire rifles are very potent tools. Unsafe tools around me make me nervous

All that to say
    I hope I can prevent a negligent discharge.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Bill_F
    Older Boyd's Super Varmint Stock (I think thats what they used to call it). I think it was actually one of the first ones of this model that they made for a short action Savage with a Bull Barrel. They sent me two...this one and the Pepper Laminate one and had me pick which one I liked best.

woodsman416
    I just ordered a Boyds Classic in nutmeg for my 110 .308. I also ordered a rifle basix sav1 trigger for the gun. Should have it all together in about 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_F View Post
    Older Boyd's Super Varmint Stock (I think thats what they used to call it). I think it was actually one of the first ones of this model that they made for a short action Savage with a Bull Barrel. They sent me two...this one and the Pepper Laminate one and had me pick which one I liked best.

I never seen these on their site. They still make em?

Bill_F
    No sir, I dont believe so. I think they are strictly thumbhole now.

Here is one of mine in a Boyds JRS Classic

Bob
    Last edited by BobT; 06-23-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Here is one of mine in a Boyds JRS Classic

Bob
    Ya got got good taste Robert!!!

...and

That'n was just after twist'n the 338F barrel on.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    i called boyds about 2 maybe 3 years ago looking for a lefty savage stock.
    i was told they made (no) lefty stocks at all.
    stockys told me they only made a few for rems. no savage.
    apperently thats changed?

Nandy
    This is not a good picture but it is their thumbhole varmint, I think the color is forest camo or something like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast